Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019

Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 PM

Rose, I'm so sorry about your car accident! I didn't know. If you mentioned it, I missed it, and I do pray you heal quickly and thoroughly. It must've been a doozy if you can't bear weight for a month!

My daughter was in an accident today. Her worst fear--having an accident with her nanny kids (two toddler girls) . They were three blocks from home, on the way to the mall to play, when a lady ran a stop sign and hit her. Everyone is fine--my daughter is feeling sore from tensing up and the seatbelt hurt her abdomen, but the girls weren't fazed. They kept chatting and smiling. The lady said she was coming from divorce court and was unfamiliar with the city and was very apologetic. My daughter felt sorry for her.

As for the VQW, I think I've done all the sewing I'm going to do. My second son, who is about to become a daddy, is already thinking like a daddy and it's so heartwarming. He's only 28 (been married since 22) but so mature. When I texted him to ask what he wanted for Christmas, he said he couldn't think of anything but "anything off our baby registry would be awesome. Or, if you want to contribute what you'd spend on me to his college fund, I opened an account for the little guy."

Third son (17) works at a Chinese restaurant. He made me laugh out loud when he texted on his work break this evening. As if I haven't already spent the better part of 2 months sewing inventory for my craft fair, and baby items for the grandson in utero, and Christmas gifts for family (not to mention wrapping, cleaning, shopping, yada yada)...he writes "Hey Mom, just got my secret Santa name..it's my boss... he's got knee problems so I was wondering if you could make him a rice therapy bag...in Asian fabric?" Bwahahaha! Flattering that he thinks I have superpowers. I have no Asian fabric, not enough rice to fill the bag, and no time to sew something for his boss!
If my son would like to trek into JoAnn tomorrow, more power to him. Let him pick it out, pay for it, and make the thing. He knows how to sew. And he's thoughtful--I mean, to take note of his boss's knee problems and seek to give a pain-relieving gift. I'm touched.

I might--but it'll take a stroke of amazing grace--make a stocking for my Nigerian son-in-law in the colors of his home flag. A person who wishes to remain anonymous sent me a yard of fabric, having no idea that I wanted to make the emerald green and white stocking. The fabric she sent is an emerald green solid!

Anyway, my next post will show picture of the receiving blanket and matching pair of burp cloths in the nursery colors, plus a single burp in lamb fabric for my grandlamb.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 PM

I’m in! Thanks for hosting, raggiemom!

I had fabric left from two Christmas table runners I made earlier this week so I made a couple of small table toppers for friends. I ran out of silver metallic thread half way through the machine quilting so it’s off to Joann’s tomorrow for some more. After I finish quilting the toppers, I hope to get started on a quilt with a new layer cake. I might make a hexie pattern quilt with it. Not sure yet.

I hope everyone who is ill or recovering from injuries feels better soon. It’s tough enough dealing with all that without holidays mixed in.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:47 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]621108[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img-9820-compressed.jpg   img-9818-compressed.jpg  
Old 12-20-2019, 09:32 PM

I’m in for sewing New Year’s Day.

Thank you for hosting this fun VQW weekend. I’m going to start quilting (maybe complete) a m/c batik triangle scrappy large twin for my niece. If I have time sew binding on a red scrappy quilt for my BIL. On Sunday I plan to quilt a train top after I sew a backing to fit. It’s a throw. When I get tired, work on steps 1-3 of BHMQ - Frolic. That should keep me busy. On Sunday I want to bake cookies to mail out Monday. I consider them holiday cookies. I’ll post pics as I finish projects. On Monday I plan to finish a rwb top and quilt the project.

Rose we I hope you are feeling better and don’t miss too much sewing time.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:31 AM

So glad to know others are in a sewing mode this weekend like I am. So thank you for hosting this VQW. But I am not quilting per se. For me it's embroidery. My eldest daughter is a 5th grade teacher, and every year since I bought the machine I have made embroidered book marks for each student. Each one takes about an hour, if the thread cooperates and doesn't break every few feet. But they are all (29) done and delivered.

This year a friend of mine introduced me to the joys of reading pillows for kids. They are so much fun to make = and being a very big advocate of reading to children and have them read too these are great. I have been making these pillows for small children and new parents. One friend I made a couple for her daughters loved them and asked me to make some for Christmas presents. She needed 6 - so I had her buy the fabric, the pillow forms, and the zippers. We picked out some sayings together and I ended up making 8. Those were made in November and the first week of Dec. but I found more designs and this week made 3 more for my niece and nephew (both 10) and one for my sister.

And now it's dish towels for a friend of my other daughter. My DD works for group homes and they have been trying to wean off the constant use of paper towels, so every season/holiday I have embroidered dishtowels for them to use. One of the house parents asked if I would make a few more for her to give as gifts. She ordered the towels on Amazon and had them delivered to me and I currently making 20 dish towels. Almost done - I have 15 done and 5 more to go. And that is what I have set to do with this weekend.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 AM

Hello everyone - sounds like we’re all in for a busy weekend one way or another!

I’ll be quilting when I can this weekend. I’m making disappearing 4 patch blocks for the first time from a pile of scrappy 5” squares. Each block will be different and I’m learning a lot about colour contrasts in the process. Can’t wait to see how this charity quilt is going to turn out.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:34 AM

Thanks for hosting VQW, Raggiemom. I spent all day yesterday sewing 5 inch 4 patches from red, white, & pink fabric given to me last week. Several squares were in the load of fabric & I cut the rest once I finished sorting my loot. Some of the original squares weren't *quite* 5 inches, so my 4 patches are finishing at 9 1/8 inches rather than 9 1/2. It's ok with me, as I'm adding sashing. I had some pink I could have used for the sashing, but it was a bit too much, so I'm using a neutral instead. Its calming the rather intense colors. I did have to add some dark red from my stash & have ended up with 49 4 patches. I haven't decided whether I will use a 7 X 7 layout or drop 1 square & use a 6 X 8. That's the nice thing about no specific pattern & scraps instead of yardage-I'm free to choose my size & layout, bound only by the amount of squares I have.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]621107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]621108[/ATTACH]
Had to LOL... love the 'Ouch"!!
Old 12-21-2019, 04:46 AM

I'm with you this weekend! My daughter gave me my first grandchild 2 weeks ago, a boy! I'm home for the weekend after spending 2 weeks with her helping out. So I'm sewing of course! I'm making a twin size quilt called Garden Gate Plaids. It's going to be gifted to Sleep in Heavenly Peace a ministry that makes beds for children in need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621109[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 71750587_10158820371366978_4552372193652113408_n.jpg  
Old 12-21-2019, 05:11 AM

Getting ready for our Christmas (at our house) on Sunday. Then it is my turn for R&R. Christmas Eve-church and then peace and quiet. I've had company off and on all week.