Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

I agree with Izaquilter. I don't think how you thread your needle has anything to do with your timing going out. If you thread the needle with foot down, the tension discs are engaged, foot up the tension discs are released. It would take more than that to get your timing out. Years ago I had a New Home and I sewed 3 fish houses made out of canvas for my husband and BIL. Fighting with canvas which is extremely heavy and that is what got my timing out of whack. I was young and stupid then. I got a new Bernina and did not let my husband talk me into anything like that again. I think you need a new Bernina dealer and this one should be reported to the Better Business Bureau.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by dotski
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D
    i have a babylock and was told by the shop where i bought it that the foot needs to be down for the auto threader to work properly. i will take a look at my manual to see what they say. i'm more of a hands on than reading mnuals !!
    Yes, for the auto threader to work, the foot has to be down on my Bernina as well, but it still has to be up when threading the machine up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by blisterful
    (I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.
    I thread my machine with the presser foot up, but when I am ready to put the thread through the eye of the needle I drop the foot down so I can see the eye of the needle.

Junior Member east side quilter's Avatar
    I thought b erninas had self threaders.

I always thread mine with the presser foot down.
    I have never had a problem.
    I seldom raise my pressure foot and use the knee lift when sewing. I would take my machine to another dealer, it doesn't have to be a Bernina dealer. I take my Berninas to a Phaff dealer for cleaning/adjustments. I get better service than I did from my Bernina dealer. Plus hes only 12 miles away,
    my Bernina dealer was a 30 mile drive.

Blog Entries
    Think Ghostrider is right on.

I have both Bernina's and Janome's...I have always been told by both dealers to thread with the presser foot up for the tensions to work properly...I have never had any issues with any of the machines....blessings

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D
    This is exactly what I have been told. I was also told years and years ago (machines were not digitized then) that to adequately change your tension on the machine the presser foot must be in the DOWN position. Have not read that on any NEWER machines, but I always to it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by east side quilter
    I thought b erninas had self threaders.
    My Bernina does not have a needle threader. I have had it for several years and that is the only feature I wish it DID have. Love that little machine.

Hi
    I have a Bernina 440QE that I purchased last year, I was told by the dealer to put the foot up and threading the machine.
    So that's what I do and have had no problems.
    NormaBeth

Yes threading a Bernina machine with the presser foot up is a must. The tension will be all wrong if you don't. I have the 730.

When I bought mine I was told that before I took it home. Then in the first class they told us the same thing. I don't know if its in the book or not, never looked. Both times they explained that the tension discs are closed when the foot is down. They also said the needle should be up when threading the machine.

Yes I agree, the pressure foot is to be up when threading. I have a Bernina 153 QE with a self threader. Then I put the pressure foot down to thread the needle, but only after threading the machine with the foot in the up position. I am not sure we really answered the question though. Is threading the needle with the foot down, actually enough to throw the timing off in the machine? I just don't think it is. There has to be something more to throw the timing off. What do you think?
    Marilyn

Interesting. I've never given it much thought. I believe my presser foot is usually up though.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma.me
    Yes I agree, the pressure foot is to be up when threading. I have a Bernina 153 QE with a self threader. Then I put the pressure foot down to thread the needle, but only after threading the machine with the foot in the up position. I am not sure we really answered the question though. Is threading the needle with the foot down, actually enough to throw the timing off in the machine? I just don't think it is. There has to be something more to throw the timing off. What do you think?
    Marilyn
    I agree, there has to be something else. Take it back and trade it. If they won't work with you, find another dealer!

I have always threaded with the foot up.

Blog Entries
    Yes you must thread the machinde with the pressure foot up but you can lower it when it comes to threading the needle.

Have been threading Berninas for 15 yrs so had to think about how I do it. I thread the machine itself with presser foot up, then put presser foot down to thread needle only. No problems.

Every machine since the beginning has to have the presser foot up when threading. Stop and think about it. When the foot is down the discs are tight together for tension. The thread can't get in between them. Raise the foot and they open and the thread goes in between. Then when you lower the foot to sew you have tension on the thread and all is happy. This is every machine out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    When threading the machine I always have my pressure foot up for the exact reason Ghost Rider explained. However, when threading my needle I have done it with pressure foot down but only dropping the pressure foot after I have taken enough slack in my thread that I may need. I never pull my thread through the machine when the tension disks are engaged (ie when pressure foot is down). I always raise it before pulling any thread. So much so that it is engrained habit now.
    ditto here and I have a Bernina. I normally thread my needle with the foot up, but sometimes these old eyes have days they don't always seem to work and I drop the pressure foot to thread the needle if I can't get it done on a couple of tries. BUT I always have a long enough string of thread to do so, just a habit and never though about it. I don't think I was ever told anything about that.However I was once told by a dealer that when you are removing a bobbin with thread still on it to change to a different color, you should NOT pull the thread though backwards, but take the bobbin out first leaving a long string of thread coming out of the bobbin and clip the thread next to the bobbin, so as not to mess up the tension on the bobbin, which does make sense, and to not remove the spool of thread through the machine with the presser foot down, because this can mess up the tension on the top. Both make sense to me. Does anyone else do this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I can see that if you thread any machine with the foot down the thread may not go into the tension discs correctly, but I sure can't figure it causing any OTHER problems, very strange if it's true.
    It is if the Needle is in its highest position that makes the tension discs in the right place. However, I also ~~though it is awkward~~ thread my needle with the pressure foot raised. Quirky but it works.

But :-( making the timing off because you don't raise the pressure foot when threading... that does seem strange!!!

Maybe this is why I have loose thread on the arm that goes up and down? I'll have to try threading with the foot up and see if this helps me - thanks!

If you thread with the foot down, the tension disc is closed and the threads can't get between them, and there won't be any tension on the thread, causing a mess when you start to sew. When the presser foot is up, the thread GOES between the discs and when the foot is lowered, the correct tension is put on the thread to form a correct stitch. This goes for ANY machine - not just a Bernina.

Blog Entries
    Huh! Maybe that's why I've been having problems with my Bernina. I bought a gently used 440EE Aurora right after Christmas. Most of the time, the tension is fine, but not always. That may be when I threading it with the foot down. I'll give it a try.....
    Thanks
    Lindakaycat

Foot down, no problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast