Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D
    An additional tidbit, when you take your spool off of your machine cut the thread ( by spool) and pull the thread throug the tension discs. I always would grab the spool and pull the thread out... I was told that this will harm the tension on my bedbugs

My viking is the same way...If you don't thread with foot up it can really throw it out of wack...especially the tension...

I have threaded with the foot down, but I always have quite a bit of thread length pulled out before I even think of threading. Will have to pay more attention to this though and see if it makes a difference. thanks for the hint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterful
    (I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.
    I would find another repair person. My Bernina 430QE is 6 years old and runs great! I also thread the needle with the foot down because it is easier for me to see the hole. Sorry you are going through so much trouble

:(

It seems we are talking about different things as far as foot up and down. Threading as far as going FROM THE SPOOL and through the tension discs, foot up. Thread THROUGH THE NEEDLE'S EYE - once you have it that far, then you CAN put the foot down. I agree it's easier to see and keeps some tension on the thread so the needle threader works better.

Blog Entries
    My Brother has automaatic threading, but will not work unless the pressure foot is down.

Back to the needle hitting the bobbin case. I was told by my Bernina dealer that when you put the bobbin case in you should hear a click. I have owned 4 Bernina's some are a little toucher than others about clicking into place.
    My daughter purchased the 440QE about 1 yr ago. She had to take it back to the dealer to have them adjust the a piece in the shuttle area that holds the bobbin case, because it would not click in place and stay there. It sounds like maybe that is what your is doing. Hers worked after that.
    Hope you get some help with this.

The reason for threading while presser foot up is that the thread will then go into the tension rings..you can thread the machine..then release the presser foot and then thread the needle. One way to make sure you have the thread in the tension is to release presser foot..pull thread it should be fairly loose...put presser foot down..pull thread you should be able to feel the tension. this is for any machine..not just bernina

I was told to always thread my Bernina with presser foot up, but didn't know it could cause that much trouble if you don't. I just thought the stitches might be a little different for first few stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    I was taught to thread any sewing machine with the presser foot up. You can lower the foot to thread the needle.
    I'm lost on this topic. What difference would it make if the pressure foot is up or down? It's the position of the needle when it comes time to threading that counts doesn't it? I can't imagine trying to thread it when the needle is down. I seriously think that your dealer is feeding you a line of BS. I got a lemon Bernina & the shop didn't want to stand behind it. Go over their heads & write to the president of the company. I don't care how good they say these machines are, they do make faulty ones too. Good luck
    It really does make a difference on the newer machines as the tension disk is very sensative with all the computerizim now. On the older machines, it wasn't has important. If the foot is down, you are pulling against all the tension spots in the machine. Thread it with the foot up then lower the foot to thread the needle and you will be safe. My mother was a seamstress when I was growing up and that was one of the first things she taught me. She used a Singer & a Kenmore. It really is a good habit to form.

Blog Entries
    How do you thread a needle with a needle thearder with the foot up. The thearder has to come down and it can't with the foot all the way up. I just have the foot up, thread it but the needle and have enough thread pulled to thread the needle before I put the food down.

Gotta tell ya - I am so impressed that you remember what you were taught in Home Ec. Your memory is much better than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by themeemama
    I have a HusqueVarna, a Singer, a Brother, and a Juki. All the manuals say to thread the machine with the pressure foot UP to eliminate pressure on the tension discs. I was taught in Home Economics 55 years ago to thread this way, also.
    :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for letting me know. I will pay more attention to how I thread my own machine in the future.

Blog Entries
    When threading the upper thread it is important that the pressure foot is up.
    When you thread the needle put the pressure foot down.
    I have a bernina 730 If I attempt to thread the needle with the foot up I get a little reminder it is easier to thread with the foot down.
    If you have a problem contact Bernina customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional
    When threading the upper thread it is important that the pressure foot is up.
    When you thread the needle put the pressure foot down.
    I have a bernina 730 If I attempt to thread the needle with the foot up I get a little reminder it is easier to thread with the foot down.
    If you have a problem contact Bernina customer service.
    I have found Bernina customer service to be very prompt and good to work with. Had a problem with a dealer once and several of us reported it directly to Bernina. They must have gotten the message because there were definite changes made. Customer service on anything usually goes back to the individual dealer but Bernina really takes notice when notified.
    Also their web site is great for projects, information and webitar's for free. You don't have to own a Bernina to use the site.
    Good Luck.

You should always have the pressure foot up when threading any brand of machine. If you thread it when the foot is down it puts pressure on the tension and will mess it up. I think if you check any dealer will tell you this.

Bernina has area mangers. Call and ask for your area manager. I had a problem with a new machine once and she had it replaced immediately. The repair man at the dealer told me something wasn't right and he knew. I would never have known.

Hi, blisterful! You didn't say what model Bernina you have. I have an Artista 730 and I just love it! My machine has a needle threader and in order to use it (and I've gotten really spoiled) the presser foot must be down. But if I decide to manually thread the needle, it doesn't matter whether if the presser foot is up or down! Do you have a built-in needle threader on your Bernina? Do check you manual and call him on it if he was wrong! Don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope you are able to solve your problem. Patty

Blog Entries
    I do the same as feline fanatic. Just pull out the amount of thread needed and then raise the foot. My hands are too big to do otherwise. You don't need to pull it when the foot is down if you first pull out enough thread. I would rather waste a bit of thread than raise my temper.

Quote Originally Posted by apples galore
    Hi, blisterful! You didn't say what model Bernina you have. I have an Artista 730 and I just love it! My machine has a needle threader and in order to use it (and I've gotten really spoiled) the presser foot must be down. But if I decide to manually thread the needle, it doesn't matter whether if the presser foot is up or down! Do you have a built-in needle threader on your Bernina? Do check you manual and call him on it if he was wrong! Don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope you are able to solve your problem. Patty
    I too have the 730, and love it! When taking the mastery classes was told to put the presser foot up when threading from the spool through the tension, but then to use the auto threader, you have to put the presser foot down. You are right though, once you have the thread all the way through the machine, except the needle, and if you thread it manually, doesn't matter if up or down.

I have a Bernina and we where told in class not to thread our machines with the pressure foot down because you can screw up the tension and don't pull your thread out of the needle back wards(like when you take hold of the spool thread and pull the thread out cut the thread at the spool so you aren't pull it thru the tension wheel .

Blog Entries
    I reciently had the same problem with my new Pfaff. Took it back to the dealer and she explained that when the presssure foot is up you are threading the machine, the tension disks inside are open so the thread is able to slide into them properly. WHen you put the foot down, the disks close to hold the thread in w hile stitching. THis is true for almost all machines so.... If you must , thread the machine up to the point of putting thread thru needle, then put foot down to do the last part.

Blog Entries
    I thread it with the foot down, but I pull out a lot of thread first with the foot up so I'm not pulling it through the tension discs with it down.

eta: I mean threading the needle. I've never threaded the other parts of the machine with it down.

I too have been have tension problems on my Bernina. My authorized dealer also told be to never thread the machine unless the pressor foot it up and never pull the thread back through the machine (always clip thread at the spool and pull the remaining thread from the needle).

Since I started doing this, I've never had any problem.

Hello again, blisterful! It just dawned on me exactly what you are referring to on threading the needle! You don't mean just putting the thread through the needle itself, you are talking about threading the entire upper thread from the spool to the needle! And yes, you do need to have the presser foot up when pulling the thread through the thread tension area! If you pull the upper thread through this area with the foot down, you have the the upper thread tension engaged and yes it will mess up the timing on your machine every time! So sorry I did not understand this when I first answered you! Patty

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast