Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST??? >

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 AM

I have always threaded with the foot up.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes you must thread the machinde with the pressure foot up but you can lower it when it comes to threading the needle.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Have been threading Berninas for 15 yrs so had to think about how I do it. I thread the machine itself with presser foot up, then put presser foot down to thread needle only. No problems.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 AM

Every machine since the beginning has to have the presser foot up when threading. Stop and think about it. When the foot is down the discs are tight together for tension. The thread can't get in between them. Raise the foot and they open and the thread goes in between. Then when you lower the foot to sew you have tension on the thread and all is happy. This is every machine out there.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
When threading the machine I always have my pressure foot up for the exact reason Ghost Rider explained. However, when threading my needle I have done it with pressure foot down but only dropping the pressure foot after I have taken enough slack in my thread that I may need. I never pull my thread through the machine when the tension disks are engaged (ie when pressure foot is down). I always raise it before pulling any thread. So much so that it is engrained habit now.
ditto here and I have a Bernina. I normally thread my needle with the foot up, but sometimes these old eyes have days they don't always seem to work and I drop the pressure foot to thread the needle if I can't get it done on a couple of tries. BUT I always have a long enough string of thread to do so, just a habit and never though about it. I don't think I was ever told anything about that.However I was once told by a dealer that when you are removing a bobbin with thread still on it to change to a different color, you should NOT pull the thread though backwards, but take the bobbin out first leaving a long string of thread coming out of the bobbin and clip the thread next to the bobbin, so as not to mess up the tension on the bobbin, which does make sense, and to not remove the spool of thread through the machine with the presser foot down, because this can mess up the tension on the top. Both make sense to me. Does anyone else do this?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can see that if you thread any machine with the foot down the thread may not go into the tension discs correctly, but I sure can't figure it causing any OTHER problems, very strange if it's true.
It is if the Needle is in its highest position that makes the tension discs in the right place. However, I also ~~though it is awkward~~ thread my needle with the pressure foot raised. Quirky but it works.

But :-( making the timing off because you don't raise the pressure foot when threading... that does seem strange!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D
Maybe this is why I have loose thread on the arm that goes up and down? I'll have to try threading with the foot up and see if this helps me - thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM

If you thread with the foot down, the tension disc is closed and the threads can't get between them, and there won't be any tension on the thread, causing a mess when you start to sew. When the presser foot is up, the thread GOES between the discs and when the foot is lowered, the correct tension is put on the thread to form a correct stitch. This goes for ANY machine - not just a Bernina.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Huh! Maybe that's why I've been having problems with my Bernina. I bought a gently used 440EE Aurora right after Christmas. Most of the time, the tension is fine, but not always. That may be when I threading it with the foot down. I'll give it a try.....
Thanks
Lindakaycat
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Foot down, no problems.