Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Kara

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Melanie,

You have asked the question every quilter faces. How much is our work worth? If the person really wants a quilt take them to a store to look at fabric so they know how much it costs. Let them see how expensive batting can be and the difference between them. Show them a price list from a long armer if they want it machine quilted and then tell them your construction of the quilt would start at $10 a square foot for basic piecing or simple applique. Don't be afraid to raise the price for more complicated patterns. As a handquilter for hire I charge $10 a square foot for basic quilting and go up by 2 cent inquirements if the qulting gets elaborate. I also charge at my cost if I supply the batting and backing. I also charge an extra $15 if I do the binding. I usually charge what the original price of the backing and batting would be if I was not able to find a bargin or discount.
If the person does not supply the fabric or in my case the backing and batting I get a deposit big enough to cover that expense up front. I usually get a $50 deposit if I am supplying the backing and batting. If they decide they don't want the finished quilt the deposit is none refundable and I keep the quilt.

Just for kicks keep a count of the actual hours you spend making a quilt. It will be an eye opener for you and help you realize how much your time is probably worth.

Good luck
This is all great info. People don't know the time, money, energy that go into a quilt.

And the actual hours... I FINISHED a quilt for my husband's aunt (some assembly, some quilting) and there were 30 hours logged into that. I asked for something, she gave me $50 more. Said I did a great job, but she knew what went into a quilt.

And the cost will vary depending on where you get fabric/supplies, too. Craft shops are cheaper than your LQS.

I really like the "per square foot" costs. People should be able to multiply that up to a pretty good number.