View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by DesiG
deep breath, first post here.... I have recently decided to take up quilting again (in addition to spinning and knitting) under controlled circumstances- and wanted to FMQ instead of hand quilting like I did in the late 80's early 90's. So, I couldn't do that type of abuse to my 221, and my DH found this forum and asked me why I didn't have a 301. Hmm, hubby's asking me why I don't have something expensive- either he is ill, or is a pod person- anyway, we go to craigslist and find a mocha 301 (from 1951) with the art deco cabinet and the original chair, with loads of attachments for $125. Like 2 days after I had asked for a sewing table for my (newish) New Home. The machine had been in use until last year when her previous owner passed away, needed an oiling and general clean up and viola! sews like a dream.
Hi Desi... welcome to the 'club'. And DO DO Do check out the Vintage Sewing Machine Shoppe thread. It's like 700 pages long, lol... but it's full of great stuff about vintage machines from treadles, to early electrified models... including the 301's, 221s and New Homes. Join us, drag up a chair, and a cuppa of your favorite coffee or tea.

If you got a 301, trapazoid cabinet and matching stool all for less than $200....my gawd, what a deal! Lucky you!!!! I'm soo envious, but pleased that there's someone else to FMQ on em. In the Vintage Sewing Machine section of this whole board, there are tutorials posted on just how to clean up, polish, refurbish and fix up the old gals and their cabinets. It's easy (shusssh, don't tell my sew shoppe that... they think it's a sin...if I do the work myself!). !!!