Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM
milp04

Originally Posted by seweasy
Hi! I purchased an expensive roll of plastic film that was "supposed" to keep the rulers from sliding when using the rotary cutter and the ruler. I can't tell much of a difference in the side of the ruler without the plastic film and the sides that does the film. Has anyone found anything that works better than the film?
Sure would appreciate hearing back what has worked. It's probably my biggest problem in quilting, getting a really straight cut line. Thankfully the ruler I use the most, has a lip on it that catches the edge of the table but it's the smaller rulers that I have the most trouble with, and you would think it would be the opposite since they're smaller. Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris,

Did you check to make sure that you put the correct side of the film towards your ruler? There is a right and wrong side as I understand.

There may be a You Tube video about the product so you might want to check there. Where did you purchase the product? Do you have a LQS that you could ask? Do you have any other quilters in your area?

Have you tried using the small suction ruler clamps? You can purchase the small size at Harbor Freight. It is not the same purple color as the quilting brand but works the same.

As you're working through this process you could use a very cheap makeshift: cheap double-sided tape from the Dollar Store. It may work well enough until you can figure out the issues with the film.

Do you use the markings on your ruler for measurement? If using the markings on your mat, they can cause a problem as you try to cut over them. I do not use the mat markings, only measure with my ruler then cut.

When using rulers for marking, it is important to use one brand through a project. I even use just one ruler for making all of my measurements. I may use a longer ruler to cut the fabric but I typically use the 6x12 or 6x24 inch rulers for measuring the fabric for cutting. Different ruler brands will have ever slightly different measurements.

Also I clean my cutting mat quite often. There has been several threads about soaking the mats in plain water in the tub to help keep and extend their useful life. Never leave a mat around something hot, or in the sun. When in doubt about the mat, check out the manufacturer's website for further information.

Keep us posted as you figure out the solution to your problem. It may help someone in the future with the same issue.

Have a Great Quilty Day!

Pam M