View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
minstrel

Thank you all for your kind replies. :-) I appreciate all the feedback!

milp04, I have the top on one board, it's my backing that is giving me trouble with the rolling on this quilt. But yes, I have squared both top and backing and they appear to be the same except that my backing is bigger by 4" all sides. I actually stapled the flannel onto my boards, so it isn't slipping (and it is taut and even on my boards). Both backing and top have been washed, pressed and starched. I haven't gotten around to the actual basting part (or the batting) because of my troubles with the darn back. My top is rolled on and it behaved nicely. This is the first time I ever pieced a back because I was trying to use stuff from my stash and not buy more, and it happens to be flannel (but it is starched pretty heavily). Maybe it's a flannel thing. I think I'll end up going back to using binder clips and clamping it to my table. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I can't do the floor thing anymore. I just thought I'd try this one more time.

I guess I can do what I need to to sandwich it and just use her basting stitch. I like it so much better than the usual straight stitch.