View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Shari1967

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
One thing I would suggest is be careful about what you put on there. People are like "FB is giving out my phone number! Invasion of privacy" and I want to say to them "ummm, just don't put your phone number on the site. Duh" things like that
No kidding! There are SO MANY ways to protect yourself but you just have to learn how and then do it! I have my settings so that no one can see my profile without being my friend. They can see my name and my school I went to (so that high school friends know they have the right person) My photos are set 2 ways depending on the photos - most are set that only friends can see them a few are set so that "friends of friends" can see them.
I do NOT put my address or phone number on Facebook anywhere!
Young people today are very open about what they share - I don't share anything I don't want shared with the world. Meaning - I do not use it as a place to vent my bad days, family frustrations, etc..... I try to keep my status updates positive, fun or about things I've done or discovered!

The one thing I tell everyone - it's a SOCIAL network. If you do not want to be social it's not for you. However there are a lot of businesses on Facebook it's also becoming a site for networking for jobs and stuff. It can be fun and useful you just have to be cautious and protect yourself.