View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
BKrenning

I have a pressure canner for canning and a pressure pot for cooking or canning small batches. The canner has the gauge on it where as the pot just has the steam vent. The modern ones are much more reliable than grandma's where she had to constantly fuss with the steam vents--stand them up or knock them over and different weight ones I never did understand. I've used both my canner and my pot on gas, electric coil & ceramic stove tops with no problems. It was easier to control the heat with a gas stove, though but once you get used to any type stove it's not hard.

Ham & beans have to cook a lot longer and run a much greater chance of running out of water in a slow cooker or non-pressured pot. Tough roasts will melt in your mouth if pressured and mom always drug out the pressure pot to fix old roosters with home-made egg noodles--yum! yum! She also pressure cooked pork neck bones with sauer kraut & potatoes. I guess that's the hillbilly version of corned beef & cabbage--LOL! Can you even buy pork neck bones?