View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM
candi

Cindy, the link you posted is for enlarging/reducing patterns on a copier, not cut sizes, that is why it confused you.

So you are trying to make a nine-patch square that finishes at 12"? Is so, you cut the squares at 4.5". Every time you join the seams with a quarter of an inch seam, you loose a total of half and inch, so 4.5 times 3, you loose and inch and half. Note that your actual block will measure 12.5", but once you join it to other blocks or bind, it'll finish at 12. Hope that didn't confuse you :)

Edited to add: wow see you already got multiple responses, I guess I took my time, lol.

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
I am having a really hard time with block sizes.
I want to make 9 squares that will make a finished block of 12 inches. Sooooooo to practice, I cut out some scraps at 5 inches thinking that would make 4 inch blocks. Just to be on the safe side I asked dh if it would work..........NOPE!

Is there a chart here or somewhere that tells what size to cut to get the size you want?
I did a search here but all I found was this one http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html and it was of no help at all! May as well be written in Greek. :lol: