View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
I am having a really hard time with block sizes.
I want to make 9 squares that will make a finished block of 12 inches. Sooooooo to practice, I cut out some scraps at 5 inches thinking that would make 4 inch blocks. Just to be on the safe side I asked dh if it would work..........NOPE!

Is there a chart here or somewhere that tells what size to cut to get the size you want?
I did a search here but all I found was this one http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html and it was of no help at all! May as well be written in Greek. :lol:
The simplest way to keep from doing the math and having your blocks come out the right size is go get yourself a 12.5 inch ruler and paper big enough to draw full blocks on. Use the ruler to make a square and then draw your seam lines in the block. Measure your parts and add seam allowances. Don't forget the outside pieces already have a seam allowance on one side. To simplify things, for half square triangles add a full inch and then square them up.

You can get plain newsprint in Wal-Mart in the aisle where they sell boxes and tape.