View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
pamkasperi
Banned

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Pam,

Your design and materials were great. I commend you for continuing through with your project.

When you were asking for help here at the board it would've been helpful to have had pictures if you didn't provide them. Also when using different kinds and weights of fabric it is always helpful to use interfacing. The washaway interfacing I would've used at the very least on this project. Also it is helpful to know if you have bias edges on the outside of your quilt. If you end up with then it is helpful to sew a basting stay stitching line clear around the outside of your quilt top.

Did you sew and press seams as you were progressing. Using starch, sizing or a product called Best Press is very helpful especially with difficult fabrics or patterns and is good to use with most quilting. Did you press before squaring up. There is a difference between pressing and ironing? Did you use a consistant scant 1/4 seam when sewing so you would have consistant seams?

Why did you break so many needles? Were you trying to sew over your pieces that were pinned? When sewing seams that are pinned you are suppose to remove the pin as you get to it. Are you sewing too fast to want to slow down to remove each pin? Sometimes it's quicker to sew slower than to go faster. Does your machine have a speed control on it?

It is good to use a thread to match the fabrics. Sometimes you'll use a cream, tan, darker tans and grey for most piecing projects. For some you'll need to better match your thread color with your fabrics.

You should label your quilt with your name and date and keep it for yourself. It will be a good show and tell item of what NOT to do and in the future to show how far you've improved. These are very good items to have for other new beginners with sewing and quilting. It gives a beginner encouragement to continue with each project to know that they will get better.

Are you in a quilt guild? Do you have a guilting buddy or mentor?

As for a title I think you've got a good one. Another idea: "Pain in the Butt for Boobs!"

Thank you for sharing your project in pictures with us. Please feel free to ask away with questions in your future quilting projects.

Pam M
Pam M - lets see

Yes I posted as I was going along because I couldn't decide what to do for a border - it was laying flat until I put the border on so I'm thinking the cotton next to the satiny material is what did it.

I did press my seams but I think some of them were bulky in the middle hence the broken needles - also, as I have stated before I'm not very patient and I sew like I drive (thank goodness there is NOT a Sewing State Trooper or I'd get tickets every day). So your right once I slowed down I stopped breaking needles - of course one I broke because I didn't bother to push it all the way in and screw it tight - but I decided that was because I was being gentle with the needle - felt like he needed a soft hand :)

No guild...no quilting buddies EXCEPT FOR EACH OF YOU.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR TITLE....Pain in the butt for Boobs is what is is now called!!