Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My pain in the posterior

Banned
    Ok this project started out pretty good. Liked my colors started making my squares....too much brown and blue and not enough pink and not every triangle had the breast cancer ribbon in it.

Plow ahead....

Break 7 needles.

Square up every square...sew together...thought I made sure it was squared again.

Nope - more of a ruffle effect now....must be the satin feeling material I used for the brown outside the ribbon.

Plow ahead.

Make the edge per helpful suggestions on here.

Now I can't decide on a back. Find a back...sew togehter - sewed wrong sides together - at least 1/2 around before I clued in.

My dear friend seam ripper and I had some quality time together. Start again.

Put the binding on - thinking ok on a scale of 1 to 10 (my one to 10 not ya'lls :)....a 6...start cutting threads...find 2 places where the seams have come apart and several places where my tension was off and so the threads are showing through (oh yes...did I mention I used white thread and they are showing threw on the brown material?

This was for a raffle...not anymore...guess I could just give it to one of the local hospitals or hospice....

I'm calling this....

"Pain in the Posterior Fight for Breast Cancer!" unless ya'll have a better title!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The design and the colors are great. You will have a better time with your next project. I have spent more time ripping in the last three weeks than my whole time quilting. So I have great empathy for the problems you encountered.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for all your troubles. Some times things go that way.
    Might be partly due to the type of fabric. Next time will go better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn6
    Sorry for all your troubles. Some times things go that way.
    Might be partly due to the type of fabric. Next time will go better.
    Marilyn - I think your right about the material - I kind of mixed and matched different fabric's - not smart but I think the other problem was I wasn't happy from the start...so it set the tone for the whole quilt!

Really neat desigh idea. Sometimes thingss just don't work out like you think they will. I have a couple of quilts that I look at and think "It seemed like such a good idea at the time......." But then thats just part of the learning process!

i think someone will be proud to have it! your story was great, i was lol'ing here at 1am until my hubby heard me!! fantastic story, great quilt! it's the labor of love that counts and it looks fine to me! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I do like the design, very colorful!

[quote/] "Pain in the Posterior Fight for Breast Cancer!" [/quote]

I feel your pain. I think we all have a project like this one. Don't be discouraged. I love your story, because we can all relate.

Sewing machine tension can ruin any project. And you had additional problems to deal with. Satin was your first challenge, triangles were your second. May I suggest? Next time, choose 100% cotton fabric. It behaves much better than satin, I promise you. Also, Fons & Porter makes the best seam ripper ever!

Make a fresh start... have your machine serviced and your next project will be so much better. ♥

:roll: :roll:

Fons & Porter Seam Ripper
    Name:  Attachment-172278.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  3.4 KB

Blog Entries
    You never know until you try! I really love that brown fabric. It is really rich looking. You might want to try another row of quilting between the current lines or on the diagonal across the blocks. Might make it lay a little flatter. OR, Don't I recall you are FMQ practicing? I would FMQ over the whole thing. It's all secured so you don't have to worry about pins. Use brown thread tho ;-)

Blog Entries
    I feel your frustration. You already have some great suggestions, but just think of what you learned Not to do next time!:)

Hi Pam,

Your design and materials were great. I commend you for continuing through with your project.

When you were asking for help here at the board it would've been helpful to have had pictures if you didn't provide them. Also when using different kinds and weights of fabric it is always helpful to use interfacing. The washaway interfacing I would've used at the very least on this project. Also it is helpful to know if you have bias edges on the outside of your quilt. If you end up with then it is helpful to sew a basting stay stitching line clear around the outside of your quilt top.

Did you sew and press seams as you were progressing. Using starch, sizing or a product called Best Press is very helpful especially with difficult fabrics or patterns and is good to use with most quilting. Did you press before squaring up. There is a difference between pressing and ironing? Did you use a consistant scant 1/4 seam when sewing so you would have consistant seams?

Why did you break so many needles? Were you trying to sew over your pieces that were pinned? When sewing seams that are pinned you are suppose to remove the pin as you get to it. Are you sewing too fast to want to slow down to remove each pin? Sometimes it's quicker to sew slower than to go faster. Does your machine have a speed control on it?

It is good to use a thread to match the fabrics. Sometimes you'll use a cream, tan, darker tans and grey for most piecing projects. For some you'll need to better match your thread color with your fabrics.

You should label your quilt with your name and date and keep it for yourself. It will be a good show and tell item of what NOT to do and in the future to show how far you've improved. These are very good items to have for other new beginners with sewing and quilting. It gives a beginner encouragement to continue with each project to know that they will get better.

Are you in a quilt guild? Do you have a guilting buddy or mentor?

As for a title I think you've got a good one. Another idea: "Pain in the Butt for Boobs!"

Thank you for sharing your project in pictures with us. Please feel free to ask away with questions in your future quilting projects.

Pam M

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    You never know until you try! I really love that brown fabric. It is really rich looking. You might want to try another row of quilting between the current lines or on the diagonal across the blocks. Might make it lay a little flatter. OR, Don't I recall you are FMQ practicing? I would FMQ over the whole thing. It's all secured so you don't have to worry about pins. Use brown thread tho ;-)
    Paper Princess - I LOVE the brown fabric - is not real satin - it just has that look - was kind of stiff - not sure what it was called as I found it in the rement bin at JoAnn's and when I went back to look for it it ran away and hid somewhere. Not the best idea for a quilt - although I'd buy it again because someone suggested using interfacing. It just is so "rich" looking as you put it.

Oh well.

Its pretty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Hi Pam,

Your design and materials were great. I commend you for continuing through with your project.

When you were asking for help here at the board it would've been helpful to have had pictures if you didn't provide them. Also when using different kinds and weights of fabric it is always helpful to use interfacing. The washaway interfacing I would've used at the very least on this project. Also it is helpful to know if you have bias edges on the outside of your quilt. If you end up with then it is helpful to sew a basting stay stitching line clear around the outside of your quilt top.

Did you sew and press seams as you were progressing. Using starch, sizing or a product called Best Press is very helpful especially with difficult fabrics or patterns and is good to use with most quilting. Did you press before squaring up. There is a difference between pressing and ironing? Did you use a consistant scant 1/4 seam when sewing so you would have consistant seams?

Why did you break so many needles? Were you trying to sew over your pieces that were pinned? When sewing seams that are pinned you are suppose to remove the pin as you get to it. Are you sewing too fast to want to slow down to remove each pin? Sometimes it's quicker to sew slower than to go faster. Does your machine have a speed control on it?

It is good to use a thread to match the fabrics. Sometimes you'll use a cream, tan, darker tans and grey for most piecing projects. For some you'll need to better match your thread color with your fabrics.

You should label your quilt with your name and date and keep it for yourself. It will be a good show and tell item of what NOT to do and in the future to show how far you've improved. These are very good items to have for other new beginners with sewing and quilting. It gives a beginner encouragement to continue with each project to know that they will get better.

Are you in a quilt guild? Do you have a guilting buddy or mentor?

As for a title I think you've got a good one. Another idea: "Pain in the Butt for Boobs!"

Thank you for sharing your project in pictures with us. Please feel free to ask away with questions in your future quilting projects.

Pam M
    Pam M - lets see

Yes I posted as I was going along because I couldn't decide what to do for a border - it was laying flat until I put the border on so I'm thinking the cotton next to the satiny material is what did it.

I did press my seams but I think some of them were bulky in the middle hence the broken needles - also, as I have stated before I'm not very patient and I sew like I drive (thank goodness there is NOT a Sewing State Trooper or I'd get tickets every day). So your right once I slowed down I stopped breaking needles - of course one I broke because I didn't bother to push it all the way in and screw it tight - but I decided that was because I was being gentle with the needle - felt like he needed a soft hand :)

No guild...no quilting buddies EXCEPT FOR EACH OF YOU.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR TITLE....Pain in the butt for Boobs is what is is now called!!

I think it turned out pretty good for all your problems with it!!
    Question, what type of batting did you use? One of my sewing machines will not sew cotton batting. I suspect poly would have been better.
    Presser foot tension? Might want to lighten it up when working with the jersy type satin stuff and sometimes a piece of tissue paper works wonders when starting a seam with this type of fabric.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchet
    I think it turned out pretty good for all your problems with it!!
    Question, what type of batting did you use? One of my sewing machines will not sew cotton batting. I suspect poly would have been better.
    Presser foot tension? Might want to lighten it up when working with the jersy type satin stuff and sometimes a piece of tissue paper works wonders when starting a seam with this type of fabric.
    Used cotton batting - it was on sale - so stupid question - does it really make that big of a difference what type of batting you use?

Blog Entries
    You are a very brave lady! I'm so afraid to even begin learning to FMQ that I have 3 doll size quilts ready to be quilted, but I'm afraid of my Brother... have changed the needle one time and that went okay. But dropping the feed dogs and changing the foot has me frozen up!

Maybe today I'll screw up my courage and give it a try... maybe....

I love the concept. There's someone who would be very appreciative to get this quilt. This is a learning process and those not knowing about quilting don't notice what we do. It's not all the looks - but the thought behind it.

Blog Entries
    I think Poly batting would have made it more fluffy which might have balanced it out a little. Yep, the culprit is the shiny fabric. Next time, try backing it with interfacing so it won't shimmy and shift on you.

Hope it brings lots of $$ for the cause.

Well it does to my sewing machine!! It likes poly and nothing but poly. If I want to use cotton, I have to use a different machine!! It's unfortunate because it's my Juki that I use for free motion so if I want to use cotton I have to do it on my littler machines. What is your set up anyway? I know there are a lot of purist out there that don't like to mix and match fabrics and believe in cotton only but I do like to mix it up and use what I have, including old shirts and sheets!! Sometimes it takes a little playing with adjustments to get it to turn out right but I'm pretty successful at it. Like with the type of fabric you were using as your base I would have used tissue paper and a needle designed for poly. I would have loosened the feed dogs, not turn them off, of course it depends on the machine. Most machines these days are only off and on. In which case I would have left them on and used either a hopping foot or a quilting foot with the feed dogs, just to get an even stitch and still have movement. It's always a good idea to have a sample of the quilt you are working on to practice with too.

Hope that helps.

Ilove the color combo. So sorry so many problems with this one. Better luck next time.

I forget to check this category; won't forget again, lol. Yes, you need to write stories and send them.
    The ribbon itself looks very good; I do commend you for the idea; looks original to me.
    I have a friend like you; always breaking needles, making puckers, etc. I tell her to slow down; all will be well in the end. I'll tell you the same thing; but in a nice way, ok?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    I forget to check this category; won't forget again, lol. Yes, you need to write stories and send them.
    The ribbon itself looks very good; I do commend you for the idea; looks original to me.
    I have a friend like you; always breaking needles, making puckers, etc. I tell her to slow down; all will be well in the end. I'll tell you the same thing; but in a nice way, ok?
    Thank you Lynn - that will be better than my husband who SCREAMED at me "would you slow down - your spending more in needles than fabric and the quilt isn't going to run away if you just SLOW DOWN!"....Its been 24 hours since I broke a needle!

:XD:

Sounds like you're getting it all figured out.

Hi there! First of all, you are one brave lady and I commend you on all your efforts. I think that you have done really well with nothing but help from QB.

I feel for you that your quilt has not met up with your expectations. It is probably the shiny fabric which has gone wavy perhaps with undoing and restitching especially as there appears to be quite a few bias lines with the triangles? Is there any way you can make tiny tucks to reign in the wavy edges? Perhaps even remove the border and quilt it down and adjust as you go? That may work or is it too wavy? Once it is quilted, the waviness may not be as noticeable. Just a suggestion and hope it helps.

It is a lovely concept and a good idea. The pattern is lovely. Best wishes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast