View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Blinky

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I think I may consider removing the modern zig zag stitch now and appliqué them on primitive red design fabric leaving a 1/4 inch or so of the red fabric around the hearts. And then appliqué the hearts with the small red border around them onto blue and white ticking! Shoot by the time I find an old window I should have the actual hearts put together from everyone's suggestions on the Board! Thank you all so much...I think it is coming together!

Originally Posted by cpfrog
Originally Posted by Blinky
You all got me thinking....I just thought these hearts were made individual...but maybe someone cut them from an old quilt and did a zigzag stitch around them.....
They are definitely cut from older quilts and then someone with a "modern" zig-zag machine caught the edges probably to prevent fraying... I think there's a "Wedding Ring" quilt in there by the looks of some of the curved piecing. Not sure they are very old.

If you have more hearts, then perhaps remove the zig-zag and carefully hand-applique each of them on to a matching red solid background. The shape will still show up; but better yet, a nice neutral would work as well... and look more vintage.

I'd do a small wall quilt and have it framed. (maybe 24 x 36 inches or a little larger?) It would last longer and look even more nostalgic. Good Luck.
:thumbup: :thumbup: