Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0( >

Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0(

Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0(

Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blinky
I purchased these vintage quilted applique hearts at a Quilt Show in their gift shop many years ago. They measure about 6.5 inches wide and 5 inches tall. I need advice for background to either put them in a large picture frame or wall hanging. Someone in my Bee suggested a cream Irish Chain background or a traditional block similiar to the Irish Chain. I am thinking of appliqueing the patchwork hearts on to a red heart so there would be maybe a 1/4 inch of red framing each heart block to define the heart on the background. Should I frame them in rows or arrange them in a circular? The background can't be busy I don't think because the patchwork heart is busy. I may be making too much of these hearts...but they are so old ....and cherish them even if I don't know the lady who made them. I love vintage things. So any ideas would be appreciated :roll:
They would be beautiful placed on a blue background and framed. All of the hearts share the color blue. Please post after you decide and finish. I love old quilts!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM

An old friend gave me a bunch of hearts like these and she put one ea. on a little note card. They are so cute!!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

These are so precious.. what a beautiful wall hanging they will make. I like the red idea.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Christmas tree ornaments. My mom did that with an old quilt of hers. She used the best parts of the quilt and made them into hearts. She then gave the hearts out as gifts to her family and friends on the Feast of Saint Nicholas.
What an awesome idea! I have an old "cutter" sitting here and I was waiting for an idea and here it is! Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM

The blue ticking would be wonderful wouldn't it. I think that is what I will use!! Thank you for the suggestion! Would you layer and quilt the blue ticking once I place the hearts on it?

Originally Posted by schwanton
I love your hearts! I recently bought a framed heart picture (would that be the right word?). Inside the frame, hearts were cut from vintage quilts and mounted on blue and white ticking. It was then framed in a vintage frame. Your hearts would be perfect for that - you can arrange them the way you want (either vertical or horizontal) and put them wherever you like! Good luck.
The ticking in my frame is not layered or quilted. But you can use a shadow or memory frame if you would like to mount them in that way. My picture only has 5 hearts, so there were arranged 2, 1 and 2. You have many options with six! Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 PM

I took remants of a log cabin quilt to a framer and had them double matted with acid free matting board and framed behind glass. This is the best way to preserve them from any further deterioting. That was 24 yrs. ago.

Good Luck...Andie
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

You all got me thinking....I just thought these hearts were made individual...but maybe someone cut them from an old quilt and did a zigzag stitch around them.....
exactly ,a nice little earner!