View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

My first job was working for my dad at his service station in the late 60s early 70s. I always had to stay with my dad when my mom was busy so I learned from the age of 9 to do chores around the station. I then started pumping gas for a job when I was 14. I did it for no pay but it kept me busy I guess! LOL My dad would give me money whenever so it was all good. I remember Dad having me sit in the car he was working on so when it was up on the hoist I could work the brake while he bled the lines or whatever he needed me to do. I learned to take a book with me. He would sometimes forget I was up ther and leave me! I had to learn to shimmy down from the car door to the bay floor! LOL I had to pump gas in all weather and check the oil and the battery with every fill up. That was the days of full service. There was no self service then.I When I learned to drive he sent me on parts runs to the parts houses or the junkyard. He would sometimes loan out my car for someone he was working on their car. I worked after school and on Sats til I was 17 when he closed the station. Lots of memories of my dad are all wrapped up in the sights and smells of a gas station.

So what was your first job and what do you remember about the experience? We would love to hear!!