View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
maryb44662

Originally Posted by echobluff
Please, please don't take this wrong...This by all means is nothing against those of you who use sheets for backing. This is just curiosity on my part. I've seen numerous posts on here saying you've used sheets for backing fabric. I understand the financial point of using sheets, but...Are these sheets 100% cotton? Are they of the same quality as quilting cotton? Are they woven the same as quilting cotton? I have 100% cotton Walmart sheets on my bed that are way higher thread count than my quilting cottons. After many washings, the sheets still aren't as soft/pliable as my fabrics. All of the time I spend planning, purchasing, cutting, piecing my quilt, I would never consider using sheets for backing fabric. I guess I'm just funny that way. I use 100% cotton fabric (no poly/cotton), 100% cotton thread (no cotton covered polyester) and Warm and Natural batting, for the following reasons: 1) Poly/cotton fabric doesn't get as soft as cotton, no matter how much it's laundered. 2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used. 3) I've found that poly batting beards more quickly than cotton. Plus, I like the "drapiness" of quilts made with cotton batting. Okay...I'll get down off my soapbox now (LOL) and look forward to hearing all your feedback. Have a great day! :-D
I have used sheets (from thrift store) king size if I can find them. No, I do not always use 100% cotton fabric nor thread. I have made quilts out of everything, from flannal to polyester and never had any problems. I have used clothing from deceased persons for the family. The sheets that I use are "good" used ones that I know have been washed many times. I believe in using what you have like the folks did many years ago. Maybe my quilts are not the "professional" kind, but the people I've given them to love them. In fact, both DWR quilts were made out of sheets (front and back) and my girls love them. I also only use low-loft polyester batting in them. They are light but warm. I have not had any problems machine quilting or hand quilting that batting. This is just my way of doing things and to each his own ideas. I have pictures of a lot of my quilts on this board if you would like to see them. Happy quilting....Mary