Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM

I inherited a PILE of new sheets, most if not all are cotton and I will certainly use them as backing on quilts. I don't usually hand quilt and they work fine for machine quilting. I also inherited some pieces of fabric large enough to make backings and I will use those also when they are appropriate colors. There are no rules, do what you want and quilt on!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 AM

Echobluff, I am not in the least bit offended by your post. I have been making quilts since 1999, and go by the rule that I am not making quilts for the Smithsonian or Antiques Roadshow. If I want to use 100% cotton as a backing. then I will and if I want to use a sheet to save money, I will. I have made over 200 quilts since I started, mostly for my kids college friends. Since I was coming out of pocket for these quilts, you can bet your bottom dollar that most of them were backed with sheets! I make quilts because I love seeing them come together and know that whomever is getting that particular quilt will love it! I am not a "purist" when it comes to quilting, but have no desire to judge what others want to do. Just so you know, I make only "summer" quilts or batt-less quilts. Thus, I don't have a lot of the actual quilting stitching to do. Some are tied, some are quilted, and some just have 2 "quilting" seams run through them to keep them in place once they have been washed and dried. I gave up long ago trying to please other people, and only please myself and whomever the quilt is for. I do have qults that I made sure are all completely 100% cotton and plenty that have cotton/poly materials as well as thread. As far as I am concerned, to each her (or his) own! Just as long as you enjoy what you are doing! Love and hugs to you all!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by cindy4857
I always have a couple of good looking well used soft queen or king flat sheets around for backings and sometimes for on the front. I have found some wonderful simple patterns that help add a touch of vintage to what I'm making. I like to use old bed covers (mattress covers) for a lot of the ruff and tumble quilts for the kids. The don't shrink, they are light but warm and i can sew right threw them. My grandma made scrap quilts and used old wool blankets inside some. She ment them to be used and to keep us warm. She used all kinds of clothing for her quilts. Often we got a quilt with our own out grown clothes in them. She was thrifty and wise and even her great great granddaughters are begging for grammy's quilts :=)

My Grandma and my Mom both used army wool blankets for backing. We had a neighbor who owned at a sewing factory many years ago and he would bring the wool and cotton scraps to my Mom for quilting. Just have to say I hated the wool blankets as I was alergic to them....itshy itshy!!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Did you hear the story of the young woman making a ham and as she put it in the pan she cut the ends off? When asked why she looked at her mother, who then looked at her mother, who then said "Because my mother did and this is the only reason." We do what we learn and we enjoy it cause it gives us pleasure and it works. I have only used cotton quilting thread....why?....Because my quilting teacher told me to! It works, it gives me pleasure so I have been happy enough to go along my merry way. I have learned so much on this site but honestly when I think trying to use it all sometimes my brain just hurts. Thank for the info in your post and the lively discussion that followed, always a good thing. As long as it works and it gives you pleasure, that is all that matters.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by beachcombr09
Echobluff, I am not in the least bit offended by your post. I have been making quilts since 1999, and go by the rule that I am not making quilts for the Smithsonian or Antiques Roadshow. If I want to use 100% cotton as a backing. then I will and if I want to use a sheet to save money, I will. I have made over 200 quilts since I started, mostly for my kids college friends. Since I was coming out of pocket for these quilts, you can bet your bottom dollar that most of them were backed with sheets! I make quilts because I love seeing them come together and know that whomever is getting that particular quilt will love it! I am not a "purist" when it comes to quilting, but have no desire to judge what others want to do. Just so you know, I make only "summer" quilts or batt-less quilts. Thus, I don't have a lot of the actual quilting stitching to do. Some are tied, some are quilted, and some just have 2 "quilting" seams run through them to keep them in place once they have been washed and dried. I gave up long ago trying to please other people, and only please myself and whomever the quilt is for. I do have qults that I made sure are all completely 100% cotton and plenty that have cotton/poly materials as well as thread. As far as I am concerned, to each her (or his) own! Just as long as you enjoy what you are doing! Love and hugs to you all!
I say AMEN! to all of the above. That is how I make mine. Most I give away cause I enjoy making and creating them (never use pattern) and I can't keep them all. ((( HUGS))) to all
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Being a child of parents who grew up during the depression, nothing ever went to waste. In the early 70's they bought a run-down motel in north Idaho. The first things that were replaced were the quilts on the beds, as what was there were nothing more than rags, even in my parents opinion. Many of the sheets had patches on them (yes patches!) From these old sheets my Mom and I started making new quilts for the beds. The tops were nothing fancy, just a 4 or 6" one patch. The old sheets were used for the backings.

Over the years, there were more than a few customers who asked if they could purchase the quilt that was on their bed. Sadly, a few were stolen. I suppose if you look at it, that was a compliment.

When I first started quilting, I did not know that there were other options for backings. I made my first quilt all by myself when I was 12. I still have it. Now, the top is ratty and some of the blocks are ripped or have been replaced. I cherish my first attempt and consider it a success. I can point out blocks to my grand children and say, that was a piece of grammas dress when she (I) was your age. The backing is in better shape than some of the newer quilts I have since went on to make.

So, not even being aware of the fabric content for sure, nor the type of thread that was used (really, there were no thread police back in the mid-70's) I can honestly say that newer quilts come and go, but my first quilt is here for the duration.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 AM

I am happy it was brought up, as I wanted to start a dresden plate and have been looking for material to put the plates on, not white, but light tan or off white. Haven't found any and now I will look at WM sheets as if used on our bed with the dogs, will be washed alot (why I don't want white, but off white) and use that for backgound for plates, maybe even a used older sheet of mom's for backing. Thanks, and no would should be offended echobluff, it is always good to get a large number of opions and ideas and use what we like and let others go. It would be a dull world if we all thought the same.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM

I find sheets are not made like they use to be...I have to replace my sheets often and I do buy expensive sheets and have tried many brands. My husband loved the feel of one of the sheets we had and asked if I could use it for the backing. I cut the sheet into 10 inch blocks and mixed with another one. So far so good, but I also do not wash it as often as I do regular bed sheets. I may do it agian but only for us...not for my friends and family. I wan them to last and I just don't trust the sheets they have for sale this days.