View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 AM
Deborah12687

Originally Posted by cindy4857
I always have a couple of good looking well used soft queen or king flat sheets around for backings and sometimes for on the front. I have found some wonderful simple patterns that help add a touch of vintage to what I'm making. I like to use old bed covers (mattress covers) for a lot of the ruff and tumble quilts for the kids. The don't shrink, they are light but warm and i can sew right threw them. My grandma made scrap quilts and used old wool blankets inside some. She ment them to be used and to keep us warm. She used all kinds of clothing for her quilts. Often we got a quilt with our own out grown clothes in them. She was thrifty and wise and even her great great granddaughters are begging for grammy's quilts :=)

My Grandma and my Mom both used army wool blankets for backing. We had a neighbor who owned at a sewing factory many years ago and he would bring the wool and cotton scraps to my Mom for quilting. Just have to say I hated the wool blankets as I was alergic to them....itshy itshy!!