Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM

echobluff: Don't be offended. I like too hear everyone's ideas whether they are mine or not. I will have too use sheets if I ever get a top made cause the funds are not here for anything else. I have a top (just the blocks) that are just about done. But I have no idea how too strip them or put them together for a quilt. I appreciate everyone's posting. It teaches me or at least incourages me too push on. Everything is gonna be alright!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM

oohhh, I have the softest cotton sheets. They are used, but feel wonderful.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Amen, I Agree With You!!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM

I am a long arm quilter and advise my customers not to use sheets for backings. I will quilt them, but the needle deflects sometimes and also pokes bigger holes because the threads are woven too close together. I also use poly thread by Superior and love it. I think it is just a matter of preference between cotton and poly. As long as the thread is good quality, it really shouldn't matter.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by izzybelle
That was an honest post. And just like everyother post people have their own ideas-what works for some, or liked by some, is personal preference. I appreciate the honesty and candor of everone who had an opinion. As a newer quilter (less than 3 years) I often have these questions running through my brain, and are too afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid. So many wonderful people on this board have said, "There are no stupid questions". I am thankful to everyone here. Your help is wonderful
What is the saying? "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." I think we've all felt that way at one time or another but I've gotten over it. Some may feel my question is stupid, but hey, I'm sure they've asked one or more in their life too. It's how we learn!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Since I hand quilt, and I love the beautiful backing fabric, that is all I use....That way it can be flipped for a different look. Just my personal preference..... :roll:
This is my personal preference too. "Personal", not required for everyone, "Personal." I love to flip a quilt over and see a fabric I either don't expect and are so happy with or to see a gorgeous coordinating fabric. To me....I have to be happy with the results and if someone is happy with backing, so be it. If someone is happy with sheets, so be it too. :) :)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM

Okay, I'll try this again, so here goes...
I want to sincerely thank you, one and all, for your opinions and the encouragement on both threads...they were very much appreciated.
I look forward to making new friends on the QB and learning and sharing and having fun.
Piecefully,
Echo
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by echobluff
Please, please don't take this wrong...This by all means is nothing against those of you who use sheets for backing. This is just curiosity on my part. I've seen numerous posts on here saying you've used sheets for backing fabric. I understand the financial point of using sheets, but...Are these sheets 100% cotton? Are they of the same quality as quilting cotton? Are they woven the same as quilting cotton? I have 100% cotton Walmart sheets on my bed that are way higher thread count than my quilting cottons. After many washings, the sheets still aren't as soft/pliable as my fabrics. All of the time I spend planning, purchasing, cutting, piecing my quilt, I would never consider using sheets for backing fabric. I guess I'm just funny that way. I use 100% cotton fabric (no poly/cotton), 100% cotton thread (no cotton covered polyester) and Warm and Natural batting, for the following reasons: 1) Poly/cotton fabric doesn't get as soft as cotton, no matter how much it's laundered. 2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used. 3) I've found that poly batting beards more quickly than cotton. Plus, I like the "drapiness" of quilts made with cotton batting. Okay...I'll get down off my soapbox now (LOL) and look forward to hearing all your feedback. Have a great day! :-D
Just read your apology for this post. There was no need to do this. You were just expressing your opinion & reasons. This is what this board is all about. I wa surprised to find your apology was locked out so I could not reply to that post. Keep posting I like to hear all opinions, pro & con. :)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Echo, please try not to take offense from some of the posts. I'm sure you've heard the saying "Opinions are like ***holes, everyone's got one". (And I probably just offended someone by saying that!) LOL But that's the nature of the beast. I, like others, use what I can afford. I mostly shop at WM and TRY to buy 100% cotton if I can, but what if you have a certain color in mind and they don't have it in cotton? I quilt because I love doing it and I give everything I've ever made away. I don't make quilts to enter into a contest or try to be the best; simply because I love it. If someone doesn't like one of the quilts I make for them, they can throw it away or do whatever they want with it. At least I enjoyed making it. And BTW - I don't think there's anything wrong with entering contests, it's just not my thing. Don't want to offend anyone! LOL
Anyway, please try not to take some of these posts personally and don't stop posting! :D

Originally Posted by echobluff
Okay, I'll try this again, so here goes...
I want to sincerely thank you, one and all, for your opinions and the encouragement on both threads...they were very much appreciated.
I look forward to making new friends on the QB and learning and sharing and having fun.
Piecefully,
Echo
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM

I use very well washed, used cotton sheets as the backing for my charity quilts. I would never use sheets for a hand/long arm quilted machine. They are so hard, even when washed several times, it makes it impossible to have the needle go through all the fabric, and batting.

Learned by experience.