Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 AM

I often use 100% cotton *flannel* sheets for backing.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Golly - gee -- I'm amazed lately at how some innocent questions can turn ugly!!!!!!!

If you want to use them, fine, use them, if you don't then, fine, don't. Who can really tell the difference anyways! If I find cheaper, i use them. I bought 2 king size the other day at a thrift store...$10.00 total. Can't beat the price. I use them for testing new designs on my longarm. My problem with the used ones........there were stains on them that I'd really rather not try to figure out what they are........oh, maybe some ate pizza in bed....I sure hope that was it!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM

This is what I'm going to do for my adjustable bed quilts.

Originally Posted by mimom
I have used sheets on two quilts and they still hold up strong. I made them for my boys who dont use top sheets on their beds. So I am keeping them warm and not using any extra money.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

In Matter of Faith...unity
In Matters of Opinion....Liberty
In Matters of all these....Love

Originally Posted by smiles
Originally Posted by echobluff
Please, please don't take this wrong...This by all means is nothing against those of you who use sheets for backing. This is just curiosity on my part. I've seen numerous posts on here saying you've used sheets for backing fabric. I understand the financial point of using sheets, but...Are these sheets 100% cotton? Are they of the same quality as quilting cotton? Are they woven the same as quilting cotton? I have 100% cotton Walmart sheets on my bed that are way higher thread count than my quilting cottons. After many washings, the sheets still aren't as soft/pliable as my fabrics. All of the time I spend planning, purchasing, cutting, piecing my quilt, I would never consider using sheets for backing fabric. I guess I'm just funny that way. I use 100% cotton fabric (no poly/cotton), 100% cotton thread (no cotton covered polyester) and Warm and Natural batting, for the following reasons: 1) Poly/cotton fabric doesn't get as soft as cotton, no matter how much it's laundered. 2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used. 3) I've found that poly batting beards more quickly than cotton. Plus, I like the "drapiness" of quilts made with cotton batting. Okay...I'll get down off my soapbox now (LOL) and look forward to hearing all your feedback. Have a great day! :-D
Just read your apology for this post. There was no need to do this. You were just expressing your opinion & reasons. This is what this board is all about. I wa surprised to find your apology was locked out so I could not reply to that post. Keep posting I like to hear all opinions, pro & con. :)
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I use what I have or can afford. Some of the quilts I have made using poly blends have been the nicest and most loved quilts. Since baby and childrens (even grown children) quilts are loved and washed to death it dosent make sense to use the weaker 100% cotton for those. Some of my quilts have won ribbons in the county fair and thats good enough for me.
Me, too. My poly blend quilts have held their color better than cotton and have worn longer. I prefer poly blend sheets because they don't wrinkle. The 600 count cotton sheets I paid high dollar for were a nightmare--they really needed to be ironed--and I gave them to someone who said she liked them well enough to iron them. I've never used sheets for backing, but that's a good idea because I hate making the backs!

froggyintexas
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks so much for your comments on the use of sheets as backing on quilts. I have learned so much from all of your experiences, and will now use what you have said as guidance in finishing some unquilted tops. This Board entries are priceless!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM

I say to each is own how you quilt and what you use for this or that. Most of these subjects have been gone over so many times like using sheets for backing and what thread is better or doesn't work on this or that fabric and all it is a myth that people put out just to make a post. I was the one who posted the original post about using sheets and blankets. I personally will use what ever it takes to make a quilt new or old it is all the same thing. If sheets were so hard to sew thru because of thread count how then do they hem the edges? There is a some what of a dividing line between those of us who use what we can find cheaply to sew quilts and those who let us know that we should be using quality quilting fabric is a must and I feel like sometimes I am getting a nose thumbing. I do it the way my Mom and Grandma did many, many years ago and that is my choice and I put my own twist on things and always experamenting with different things to try. Ohhh I am not a quilt police either I am just a person with a hobby of quilting that I like to share with others.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Rob

Thank you for posting. I found this to be very educational. It is always interesting to get a new perspective on things...even if they were discussed before. I have learned alot...I like seeing others opinions and their rationale behind them.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Most of my quilts I give away to charities, so I use whatever I have. I find bedding at gr sales at great prices. The more I save on materials the more quilts I can make for someone who otherwise wouldn't have a blanket.
I know of a case where the family used newspapers between blankets just to keep warm.
I know of another place where the kids slept on the floor without a blanket or pillow, so that is why I want to make as many as I can to give away. I feel so blessed to be able to give to those who have so much less.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM

I always have a couple of good looking well used soft queen or king flat sheets around for backings and sometimes for on the front. I have found some wonderful simple patterns that help add a touch of vintage to what I'm making. I like to use old bed covers (mattress covers) for a lot of the ruff and tumble quilts for the kids. The don't shrink, they are light but warm and i can sew right threw them. My grandma made scrap quilts and used old wool blankets inside some. She ment them to be used and to keep us warm. She used all kinds of clothing for her quilts. Often we got a quilt with our own out grown clothes in them. She was thrifty and wise and even her great great granddaughters are begging for grammy's quilts :=)