View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM
gale

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by echobluff
reasons: 1 2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used.
This is a myth and totally not true. So please do not continue to perpetuate this old wives tale.

From Superior threads:

Will polyester thread really tear the fabric in my quilt?

Thread will not tear through a fabric solely due to its fiber content. If a thread ever tears through a fabric, it is because it won the strength contest. In a battle of heavy use and high stress placed on a quilt, the strongest component will always win. It is not accurate to say that a polyester thread is stronger than cotton. I have a spool of thread on my desk labeled 100% cotton quilting thread. It is a very well known brand, widely available, and is one of the top selling machine quilting and piecing threads. It is twice as strong as a comparable polyester thread. Although it isn't labeled as such, it is coated with a glaze which strengthens the cotton fibers and makes the thread rather wiry. In a strength test, it beats a comparable size poly, rayon, and metallic every time. In a heavily used quilt, this stiff, wiry cotton thread could do more damage than a soft polyester thread. And it is 100% cotton.

The point is this: The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true

Source: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth
Someone posted recently that they did have a quilt that tore at the seams that had been sewn with poly thread. I just prefer cotton so that's what I use. I've never bought poly other than when I sewed clothes and used coats cotton wrapped poly.