Old 03-23-2011, 05:43 AM
purvissp

I just got started in quilting 6 weeks ago and have completed 2 lap quilts and working on my 3rd. I am 65, my wife has quilted for years, but I stuck with mostly "manly" hobbies, woodworking, cars, etc.

Luckily curiosity got me into quilting. My wife brought home a used older Baby Lock embroidery machine a few months ago. It sat around and she was not using it. I was interested in seeing how it worked so I started playing around with it. Found it to be a lot of fun, but quite limited in function so I went up and traded it for a Brother PE780D, what a great machine.

I made several Disney blocks for my wife to use in a quilt, but she was busy on another project at the time so I decided to try making a quilt by myself. She let me use her 40+ year old Singer portable to start. That was tough to use so I went up and bought myself a new Brother Run Way machine, and off I went to make my first quilt. What a ball, cutting, fitting and piecing, sort of like woodworking.

Sure wish I had discovered quilting earlier. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together. Also fun going shopping for fabric and supplies together. We live near Lancaster, PA and there are a lot of Amish shops with some great prices on fabrics.

Not sure what I am going to do with all the quilts, no grand children, they are just stacked in a pile for now, may donate them to some local charities.

Hope you all enjoy quilting as much as I have come to enjoy it. Wish I would have discovered it earlier in life.

Also, it is great that this is one of my hobbies that my wife also enjoys. I don't make messes in the garage quilting.