View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
quilt1950

For those who use sheets for backing - where do you buy reasonably priced sheets? (I've checked the local thrift stores, but everything is very worn!)

10 years ago I made a quilt for my daughter, and used a sheet for the backing. Don't remember where I got it, but it was obviously not a good quality sheet. I suspected that when I used it, and should have found something different. Live and learn. It's still in one piece, and still used, but has pilled badly.

The sheets I found at WalMart (Mainstay is the brand, I believe), are not 100% cotton. I guess this is not a problem? These are also solid colors, and I prefer a print for my backing. But these are the only sheets I can find that are not a set. Are you buying sheet sets? If so, what are you using the bottom sheet and pillow cases for?

I bought a sheet set on clearance in a department store and used it to make curtains and other items for my grandson's nursery. It was beautiful fabric. But I knew I could used the pillowcases and bottom sheet for some of the items I made. I even pulled the elastic off the bottom sheet, and love it for sewing garments for the grandkids - it's so soft. Maybe I should just buy sheet sets, and use the extra fabric to build my stash?

Thanks