Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM
annesthreads

Originally Posted by susanwilley
Thanks so much for all the encouragment! You are all right, I just need to relax and have fun with it. And, as a few said, I will have a blast when I retire! That is what I'm living for....retirement! LOL. Love and hugs to all of you!
Susan

I'm the same age as you. I started quilting about 7 years ago, but don't have a lot to show for it yet, partly because I'm a chronic non-finisher and partly because until 6 weeks ago I had to work fulltime. I used to get frustrated and upset about the lack of time available to do the things I wanted to do, including quilting, and shared your fear that there'd never be the time, so I do understand. I realised that I was spoiling my own enjoyment by pressurising myself. In the end I hid all my ufos away so that I didn't have to look at them, because it fed that pressure - I'm now doing a ufo challenge and focusing on one at a time. I looked very hard at how I was spending my free time to make sure none was wasted - eg mindless TV watching, too much time on the computer etc. I also resolved to get healthy and stay that way to make sure I get as many quilting years as possible. Am still working on that! Then 3 months ago I quite suddenly and unexpectedly got the opportunity to retire, and am now 6 weeks in, blissfully happy and spending my afternoons quilting. It will happen for you too. In the meantime, focus on enjoying each day, each session at your sewing machine. And don't let other people put pressure on you either - this is your hobby, you choose what you want to do, which should be whatever will give you most pleasure right now. Good luck!