Thread: Singer 401/A
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflylady54
I was wondering what a good price for a 401A would be? It is dirty but seems to run ok. It is at a resale shop not priced yet but sounds like I really would enjoy it.
thanks.
These are the machines they have, Can anyone tell me about them and what a fair price would be?
. New Home Jenome 532 22944 JA30
2. Kenmore 117 580 46642

3. the Singer Manufacturing co. 401 A I did find this one on ebay with some info.
But nothing on the others.
If that singer 401a is dirty but 'runs ok' I would explore a bit further. See how easily the adjustment knobs work. Do they slide freely? If it is kind of gummy feeling, cleans with kerosene. If the shaft on that adjustment knob is BENT it is very hard to fix - you would need a new shaft or more. Check to be sure it holds a bobbin. Is it all there? Does it have an accessories kit? Manual? 5 discs? If it is in good condition $150 isn't out of line. The accessories kit, manual & cams can run some money - check Ebay. I paid $85 for my last 403. She is a beauty. She came in a mint condition (well almost) cabinet with a stool. She has all her parts and very smooth action, etc.

I don't know about the kenmore or the Janome - what does it do? zigzag, cams, straight only? Is it all there? Is it plastic or ALL metal? How old? If you sit in front of it, how well can you see what you are doing? Some times people use the wrong oil and really gum up a machine. The kerosene will set it free - beware of plastic parts - they melt. Under $50 is fair for no plastic and in working order if it is more than straight stitch.