View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM
hospicenurse

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Saw a post today about a woman who made a quilt for her husband. A Grandma's Flower quilt. It was nice. Very well done.

And what husband would want that? He will say "Beautiful quilt, thank you", but... Did ya make it for him? Or did you make it for you?

Give me a Grandmother's Basket quilt and I will be polite. And think "What the hell was she thinking?"

Now... I am not every man, never claimed to be. And I think the magazines that say "Make YOUR man this wonderful wool quilt that screams "Testosterone" all over it are equally off base. But...
He likes browns, tans, grays, maroons, dark blues, intense golds, coppers, etc. He probably won't like pinks, light greens, yellows, etc. He will like strong geometric patterns, stars, heavy stripes.

He will be polite if you give him applicae flowers... or bunnies. or...

Think about your audience.

JMHO,
tim in san jose
I think a husband will love any quilt his wife makes regardless. My husband was very very ill when I gave a quilt that I made for him to him (he was in the process of being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma). (This was back in 2005). I didn't know how sick he was, he didn't know how sick he was. He didn't say anything, just sat there. I was hurt and I didn't think he liked it. I put it away for three years and one day we were talking and I mentioned the quilt. He didn't remember seeing it or feeling it or the anniversary party (45th) or anything. So I went down in the basement, got the box the quilt was in and gave it to him. It was the most wonderful moment of my life. He was well, he was cured of cancer (for the second time, I might add) and he loves it. There are flowers on it, there is a lot of hand embroidery on it that I hand drew of places we had been, little things that meant something to us and things that no one else could relate to.

Grandmother's Garden, whatever, it is a gift that a person has given to her husband with all her love. What the heck difference does tan, brown, golds, etc. have to do with it. There may be a story behind it that no one knows about. "My quilt - My rules."

There I have vented my spleen. Oh, my husband loves the quilt, and is very proud of me and my work. And, I thank God every day that I still have him here with me. Edie
Well said,I agree wholeheartedly!!