Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting for your audience

Saw a post today about a woman who made a quilt for her husband. A Grandma's Flower quilt. It was nice. Very well done.

And what husband would want that? He will say "Beautiful quilt, thank you", but... Did ya make it for him? Or did you make it for you?

Give me a Grandmother's Basket quilt and I will be polite. And think "What the hell was she thinking?"

Now... I am not every man, never claimed to be. And I think the magazines that say "Make YOUR man this wonderful wool quilt that screams "Testosterone" all over it are equally off base. But...
    He likes browns, tans, grays, maroons, dark blues, intense golds, coppers, etc. He probably won't like pinks, light greens, yellows, etc. He will like strong geometric patterns, stars, heavy stripes.

He will be polite if you give him applicae flowers... or bunnies. or...

Think about your audience.

JMHO,
    tim in san jose

Thank you for the insight, Tim. I personally wouldn't make a "girly" or "feminine" quilt for a man. I tend to look for "masculine" fabrics when choosing fabric for a "guy" quilt. However, some men may not care what their quilt is made of. Some men may prefer floral prints in a quilt. I think most people who make quilts think about who they are making it for and proceed accordingly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Saw a post today about a woman who made a quilt for her husband. A Grandma's Flower quilt. It was nice. Very well done.

And what husband would want that? He will say "Beautiful quilt, thank you", but... Did ya make it for him? Or did you make it for you?

Give me a Grandmother's Basket quilt and I will be polite. And think "What the hell was she thinking?"

Now... I am not every man, never claimed to be. And I think the magazines that say "Make YOUR man this wonderful wool quilt that screams "Testosterone" all over it are equally off base. But...
    He likes browns, tans, grays, maroons, dark blues, intense golds, coppers, etc. He probably won't like pinks, light greens, yellows, etc. He will like strong geometric patterns, stars, heavy stripes.

JMHO,
    tim in san jose
    I made my oldest son a quilt/throw for watching TV. One side was plaid fleece and the other side was a flannel sheet I got at GoodWill, that has a fishing theme all over it. Nothing fancy but my DDIL says he is wrapped in it every night. He said when I gave it to him that he liked it because it was long enough for all of him to be covered up. We do have to think of our men and their personalities. No flowers for my men here.

Blog Entries
    The last two quilts I have made are for men. First one I made I used plaid and then the second one was light grey, greens and airplane logo. It took awhile to come up with a plan, but they came out really great and they all use them. The next one I have to do is a sport theme quilt, colors are red, black and white.

JMHO,
    tim in san jose
    Ok Tim - you are a hoot!! I tend to agree however. Here is the quilt that I made for MY Tim - as he insisted on nothing "girly" lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

you definately need to know your "man". I made my husband and very long quilt out of sports flannel and put fleece on the back for his TV watching. he loves it.

Most of the posts I see here for men's quilts are 'manly' colors and themes. I must have missed the GFG one. And I spend way too much time here.

Blog Entries
    The quilts I have made for men: - my husband (2 blue quilts), my older son (maroon gren and beige) my younger son (Red and Black) my husband's uncle (Blue and Red (NY Giants) and my son -in-law - Texas Tech -(Red and Black) - I agree - know you man ! Flowers and pastel's don't cut it - my bedroom quilt is a fence rail with golds,brown and dark reds - If it is for them: make it FOR THEM !

Blog Entries
    Tim's made a great point. However, I also try to keep even the girls' personalities in mind when I make theirs. If I want to try a chancy pattern, I'll make it a small wall hanging for my own enjoyment.

this goes for any person you make a quilt for, not just the men.

if you find that you quilt isn't being used or has been given to someone else it might be because you didn't think about what they would like and want to receive.

We make quilts at church for congregation members who have health problems, surgery, or that we feel just need a reminder that they are loved. The ladies are easy. For the men we try to keep in mind masculine colors, themes, or patterns. It's certainly harder, but so worthwhile.

I made my DH a quilt for his chair and it is all golf. He's teaching one of his grandsons the exciting game (lol) and I'll put pictures of them together on the back when I get some this summer.

Blog Entries
    My late DH loved color, maybe because he was slightly color blind. He had better taste in color than many people I know. His quilt that his Mom and Sister made him when he was a baby was a Grandmother's Flower Garden and he loved it. He did not like those "masculine" colors with browns and dark greens, etc... So, you just never know.

Blog Entries
    When Pat pointed out that he didn't have his own quilt, I showed him some patterns that I was interested in making. He immediately zeroed in on the tumbling block. Then we talked color. He wanted green and dark red/rust. I suggested yellow for the light side. He first "went shopping" at my sewing stash and then WE supplemented. In the end, he had a lot of input and he loves his "blanky."

Not sure if the flower garden hexes are a good pattern for your average Joe (or Bill, or Dave...)

I made a Martha Washington Star quilt for my husband, red and white. He really loves it.

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness I have a girly man!! I bought my husband a purple flower covered screw driver he uses it everyday, takes it to work. I am in the process of making him a quilt, He loves color. So it is going to be a bright purple batik, matching blue batik then a tan to balance it out. Sometimes I wonder if he really all that he says he likes or if he is just humoring me. Then again, he is the absolute best at picking out dresses and fabrics for our daughters....

Blog Entries

JMHO,
    tim in san jose
    I think a husband will love any quilt his wife makes regardless. My husband was very very ill when I gave a quilt that I made for him to him (he was in the process of being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma). (This was back in 2005). I didn't know how sick he was, he didn't know how sick he was. He didn't say anything, just sat there. I was hurt and I didn't think he liked it. I put it away for three years and one day we were talking and I mentioned the quilt. He didn't remember seeing it or feeling it or the anniversary party (45th) or anything. So I went down in the basement, got the box the quilt was in and gave it to him. It was the most wonderful moment of my life. He was well, he was cured of cancer (for the second time, I might add) and he loves it. There are flowers on it, there is a lot of hand embroidery on it that I hand drew of places we had been, little things that meant something to us and things that no one else could relate to.

Grandmother's Garden, whatever, it is a gift that a person has given to her husband with all her love. What the heck difference does tan, brown, golds, etc. have to do with it. There may be a story behind it that no one knows about. "My quilt - My rules."

There I have vented my spleen. Oh, my husband loves the quilt, and is very proud of me and my work. And, I thank God every day that I still have him here with me. Edie

When I get the dozen or so projects finished that I have started, I am going to make my DH a quilt. I am letting him pick the patterns and the fabric. He has already gone through my stash and picked some if his favorites. I have set those aside and tied them off so I know I can't touch them until I start to make him his quilt. I made him a quilt when I first started quilting and just like a little kid, he sleeps with it every night. He is the best an so supportive of my habit!!

I agree with you Tim, I would never make DH a flowery quilt. I made my son a quilt with deer and camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie

JMHO,
    tim in san jose
    I think a husband will love any quilt his wife makes regardless. My husband was very very ill when I gave a quilt that I made for him to him (he was in the process of being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma). (This was back in 2005). I didn't know how sick he was, he didn't know how sick he was. He didn't say anything, just sat there. I was hurt and I didn't think he liked it. I put it away for three years and one day we were talking and I mentioned the quilt. He didn't remember seeing it or feeling it or the anniversary party (45th) or anything. So I went down in the basement, got the box the quilt was in and gave it to him. It was the most wonderful moment of my life. He was well, he was cured of cancer (for the second time, I might add) and he loves it. There are flowers on it, there is a lot of hand embroidery on it that I hand drew of places we had been, little things that meant something to us and things that no one else could relate to.

Grandmother's Garden, whatever, it is a gift that a person has given to her husband with all her love. What the heck difference does tan, brown, golds, etc. have to do with it. There may be a story behind it that no one knows about. "My quilt - My rules."

There I have vented my spleen. Oh, my husband loves the quilt, and is very proud of me and my work. And, I thank God every day that I still have him here with me. Edie
    Well said,I agree wholeheartedly!!

I have to agree with Edie.....my hubby too, while not a "macho" man is all male, but loves anything I have made for him....Flowers, pinks, embroidery, whatever....he just loves to have something from me that expresses me...cause he loves me.

I agree...."My quilt, my rules"

I don't make girly quilts for anyone, I simply don't like girly styles. Most of my quilts are pretty much unisex, and the main difference you notice (though again, not always) is that the baby quilts are brighter and may include animal motifs. I'm trying to train myself to work with pink, small amounts of that are going in the odd quilt, but again, you can get pink into a quilt for a man without it looking girly if you get the overall colour scheme right. I made http://www.flickr.com/photos/elettaria/5553391059/ for a friend of mine and he loves it! I'm planning to use that sort of colour scheme and make something similar to http://www.flickr.com/photos/elettaria/4130920292/ for my best friend as a sofa quilt, and I know that he is likely to get a red or terracotta sofa since I know his tastes.

So I don't think of myself as limited when it comes to designing quilts for men or boys. I do avoid a huge amount of commercial quilting fabrics, traditional florals for instance, but there are so many styles of fabric around these days that I am still utterly spoilt for choice.

Blog Entries
    LOL Tim!!! I agree.

Blog Entries
    This is the quilt I made for my son. The colors are actually a dark slate gray, camel and a dark red with a gold vine patterning. He doesn't like anything fussy and he really likes this one.

Made for my son's 45th birthday
    Name:  Attachment-175649.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  69.6 KB

I agree that we need to think of our audience. However, I am offended when we lump all men (or women, for that matter) together. My husband usually hates the quilts marketed as "men's quilts." He loves a wide variety of things. The latest quilt I made for him was pink, green, and brown, and full of flowers. He loves it! Not just because I made it, but because he likes it visually. When are we (meaning our society) going to stop thinking that there are male-acceptable and female-acceptable things, and they can't mix?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast