Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilting for your audience

I made a "Turning Twenty" for my husband a few years a go. I used fabrics that had books, music, maps, etc on it and the colors were decidedly masculine. I also gave him one of the first log cabin quilts I made which was more floral and "girly" but he loved it. He keeps them both in his listening room, the room where he has all his stereo stuff. He likes to go in there during the night when he can't sleep, (or when I'm snoring!)and it can be rather cold in there at night, so he pulls one of his quilts over him and is toasty and warm in his recliner.

Good point, and, I suppose, it could go either way, as well. I'm a guy, I make Civil War Soldiers cot quilts--I've given them to women friends. Soldiers quilts, are by definition, men's quilts so no Foo Foo stuff, just down to earth useable. As a man on the receiving end of a Foo Foo quilt, I believe I would better understand the time and effort that went into it, and since there's no question about my masculinity, I'd happily accept such a gift. I don't think I'd put it behind my saddle for Civil War event, though. It is an interesting point, however.

Jack in Colorado

Yep, I guess that could go both ways. I LOVE pinks and Purples, flowers and pretty, however my DD doesnt at all. She loves dark reds, burgundy and plaids. I just wouldnt be able to make her something I think is "pretty"!
    For my Boyfriend last year I made a flannel backed blujeans quilt. Had lost my job, not much money coming in. He loves it, lol, but its a rag quilt, so he calls it "the unfinished quilt" because of the edges. Always teases me about that!

A few years ago, I was commissioned by a gal to make an oversized queen quilt for her to give to her boyfriend. He liked teal and brown colors and liked the quilts with lots of pieces they saw at a quilt shop.
    At the time, it was really difficult to find fabric that was manly (without) flowers! I ended up doing the square in a square pattern and using batik for the center of the square.
    When I took it to the gal's office to give it to her, she went crazy over it and so did her boss (man) - he even offered to pay me more for it than I charged her!

brown and teal queen
    Name:  Attachment-175650.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  39.0 KB

Depends on the man. Mine prefers really traditional fabrics, think it reminds him of the things his Mother created. Mostly with feed sacks. She passed away at 94, and stitched till the day she passed. I received the remaining fabric from her stash.

Zoe
    I was working on my fifth "one block wonder" and it was one of the drabbest quilts I've ever done. While I was sitting in my sewing room that my husband calls my padded cell, moaning and groaning my husband came in to see what the problem was. He loved the pattern and the choice of fabric (dark purples, black, a sprinking of rust, orange, and yellow (what was I thinking?). He wanted that wall hanging for him, so I let him put the design together in the arrangement he liked.

This wall hanging is displayed on his office wall and gets lots of positive comments. Oh well! I am trying to send an image of the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    How right you are!!! My husband would not be so polite I am afraid lol He would just come right out and tell me - You must have me confused with grandma or my mom when you made this quilt - thanks but no thanks :D

When making quilts for someone else always take their interests in mind - not yours. While I like the old fashion type of quilts I wouldnt give that to my DGD whos main interest are animals mainly horses (she wants to be a vet!)

Thanks for stating what should be obvious. I think we all needed this simple reminder!!! cheryl :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I always ask DH what he thinks when I am about to put things together - no matter who they are for - he has a great sense - His input is also requested about patterns and thoughts regarding color combo's - he is involved iny my hobby - and he tells me all about the new airplane things he learns - his hobby - I'm not a girly-flowery girl either - so that always helps too !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    A few years ago, I was commissioned by a gal to make an oversized queen quilt for her to give to her boyfriend. He liked teal and brown colors and liked the quilts with lots of pieces they saw at a quilt shop.
    At the time, it was really difficult to find fabric that was manly (without) flowers! I ended up doing the square in a square pattern and using batik for the center of the square.
    When I took it to the gal's office to give it to her, she went crazy over it and so did her boss (man) - he even offered to pay me more for it than I charged her!
    LOVE it!! What pattern did you use-Just love the color combo. cheryl :thumbup:

Thank goodness for diversity. When I asked my DH to pick out a pattern for the quilt he would like to have me make for him, he picked out 'Secret Garden' with all its' diverse colors and flowers. He is not a hunter, a fisherman, and will only watch sports if there is nothing else to do. He was raised helping in his fathers' greenhouses, growing and caring for flowers. His own business was landscape gardening for many years, and before we sold our home, we had the most beautiful old fashioned gardens in the front and back of our home. He was always in the yard planting, weeding, planning! Since our move into an apartment, he has been out in left field! But now our ecclesia (church) has bought a chapel and guess who is going to be the grounds keeper. And he is as happy as a clam! He will be very happy under his Secret Garden quilt!

Blog Entries
    I honestly think that you have to know your audience. One of my male co-workers was very ill earlier this school year and I asked him on the phone what colors he wanted. He said to think spring and flowers for hope. He has a purple, pink, green and yellow pillow and loves it.

My DH, while still being masculine, has all sorts of colors in the quilts I've made for him. He doesn't care because to quote him, "it's all been stitched with love by you"

My Mom only wants browns and blues. If there's a hint of pink or purple she'll hand it right back.

I made up the pattern and made this for my DH and he USES it and LOVES it too!

All the while I was making it, he kept asking who it was for, all along it was for him but he didn't know it.

Know this is from a man who seldom says boo about what I am making. :lol:

Went the manly way with one for my son. :lol:

hubby's
    Name:  Attachment-175904.jpe
Size:  64.4 KB

son's (embroidered)
    Name:  Attachment-175905.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  180.7 KB

I made a homespun plaid Turning Twenty quilt for one of my sons and he loved it. The only problem is that now the rest of my 5 sons and 3 grandsons all want one like it. Today I'm working on the next one, getting a little tired of making the same pattern/fabric. I guess I'm just lucky they don't want a harder pattern or expensive fabric. :?

Homespun Turning Twenty
    Name:  Attachment-175909.jpe
Size:  73.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

All the while I was making it, he kept asking who it was for, all along it was for him but he didn't know it.

Any man who doesn't appreciate a fine quilt here in the Rocky Moutains, well, he just deserves to stay cold. I love your Hubby's quilt--looks like a Soldier's Cot Quilt to me!!

I'm not the "girly" type of quilter to begin with. Mine tend to gravitate towards something without flowers, bunnies, baskets or rainbows. I have never sewed with pastels; just too boring for me. I want color and vibrance. I want the quilt to scream "I am here and I am alive". Yes, I love making "man" quilts. They please me as well as the man I'm making it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    I was working on my fifth "one block wonder" and it was one of the drabbest quilts I've ever done. While I was sitting in my sewing room that my husband calls my padded cell, moaning and groaning my husband came in to see what the problem was. He loved the pattern and the choice of fabric (dark purples, black, a sprinking of rust, orange, and yellow (what was I thinking?). He wanted that wall hanging for him, so I let him put the design together in the arrangement he liked.

This wall hanging is displayed on his office wall and gets lots of positive comments. Oh well! I am trying to send an image of the quilt.
    "Padded Cell"; that's great!

My husband's ideal quilt is one that has no pins left in it, is not in my lap when he wants to put his head there get his hair touched and fall asleep at the end ofa long day, and can be turned into a fort when the kids start dragging the blanket out. So, what is his idea quilt- one that comes with a family attached.

The last rag quilt I made was for a man, out of John Deere Christmas fabric, I think he'll like it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-109022-1.htm

The last rag quilt I made was for a man, out of John Deere Christmas fabric, I think he'll like it. It's certainly big enough!

front
    Name:  Attachment-176048.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  77.1 KB

back
    Name:  Attachment-176049.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  78.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I made a homespun plaid Turning Twenty quilt for one of my sons and he loved it. The only problem is that now the rest of my 5 sons and 3 grandsons all want one like it. Today I'm working on the next one, getting a little tired of making the same pattern/fabric. I guess I'm just lucky they don't want a harder pattern or expensive fabric. :?
    I have used homespun along with denim for a rag quilt. It can be stunning for either gender. Hard to find homespun around here though.

Made hubby a rag quilt, denim on one side and flannel with frogs on the other, made him a double fleece blanket with playful teddy bears, he picked the fleece out. He likes bright cheerful colors and prints. He says they make him smile :)

Quote Originally Posted by rudderjt
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

Any man who doesn't appreciate a fine quilt here in the Rocky Moutains, well, he just deserves to stay cold. I love your Hubby's quilt--looks like a Soldier's Cot Quilt to me!!
    Thanks. There are florals in it but ever so slightly.

lbc
    Tim, your point is well taken but perhaps you could have made it without mentioning the earlier post. I'm sure this person was proud of what she made and hopefully her husband appreciated the effort. Maybe he wanted a quilt that reminded him of his wife when he cuddled up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lbc
    Tim, your point is well taken but perhaps you could have made it without mentioning the earlier post. I'm sure this person was proud of what she made and hopefully her husband appreciated the effort. Maybe he wanted a quilt that reminded him of his wife when he cuddled up with it.
    I think I made it generic enough not to offend anyone. Or everyone.

I said the quilt was well made and quite beautiful. Men will generally accept anything with good grace, that's part of the love game. But...

Take my advice or leave it. If you walk through life thinking you are the quilter and everyone has to love it or leave it, well, you are missing something. Something pretty big.

tim in san jose

Here is a picture of a quilt I am making for my husband. Its a sampler made in "manly" colors. notice the flower basket? He is loving it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast