View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 AM
hazbas

Originally Posted by jillaine
I have been so astounded by the wonderful collections so many of you have-- huge "stashes" of amazing fabrics, as well as quilts-- finished or not-- either made by you or others, as well as any number of quilting-related items.

We've also read posts on this board about amazing findings at estate sales and yard sales and in Goodwill and thrift stores. And many of us have commented on the apparent ignorance some people have towards the value of the stashes left behind by family and friends.

What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you accounted for it in your will? If you don't have a will, or haven't accounted for it in your will, have you otherwise communicated to your family what you want done with it?

This is important to me because I am also a family historian. I have a cousin (I can't believe I'm related to him...) who when his parents died, basically put everything out on the curb in hefty bags for the trash people to pick up. Everything that wasn't large furniture. Everything. We lived across the country from each other then, and I didn't learn about his actions until long after they occurred. But I was appalled.

We can't control much once we've died, but we can make our wishes known.

Have you?
HI. I AM FABRIC EXECUTOR OF MY FRIEND'S ESTATE. SHE HAS INCLUDED A SIGNED DOCUMENT WITH HER WILL TO THIS EFFECT.