Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your stash is part of your estate! >

Your stash is part of your estate!

Your stash is part of your estate!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Bev

[/quote]When my hubby's dad died, he pulled his pick up truck up to the garage door, and cleared a path to the burn barrel and stared a fire.

I know he had to have destroyed a few thousand dollars worth of goodies that someone would have loved. I managed to grab one lunch box, some marbles, a couple toys and a game or two. Almost got hurt doing it though. And was FORCED to throw a lifetime collection of silk ties in a burn barrel. THREATENED WITHIN AN INCH OF MY LIFE IN FACT

SO---my will says my older DD gets first dibs, my sis in law gets second dibs, then the stuff goes to church for anyone there and then to whereever!

My hubby will drop everything I own into a burn barrel if one of the gals in the family doesn't stop him. DESPITE THE WILL![/quote]

[/quote]OMG what an awful thing to think someone would burn all traces of your existence.[/quote]

I wonder what is behind that? Why would a person do such a thing?

:cry:
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM

I need to put it down in writing, but my DH & kids know that I want any stash left ? to be USED, not thrown out. I remember an aunt who had a big garage sale BEFORE my grandma died; then she threw a lot of things out without even asking the rest of the family !!
One DD is into quilting now so hope she will want some things. Also have agreement with friends that we help look after each others stuff, to go to the guild and bees. :)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM

no, haven't put it in writing or anything.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM

My Mom and I are both quilters. I am the executrix (i love that word) of her will. She can be comforted to know her stash and quilts will be loved, respected and taken care of. If I were to die and my Mother were already gone, my husband would give my stash to the ladies in my quilting small group. They would take what they wanted and give the rest to a quilting charity. The quilts would be given to, or saved for, my daughter.

Occasionally, fabrics comes my way because someone has died and left behind some nice goodies. I always try to be extra respectful about using them. I try to "channel" the wishes of the original owner, even if I didn't know them. I just think what goes around comes around.