Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: Your stash is part of your estate!

  1. #1
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,400
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have been so astounded by the wonderful collections so many of you have-- huge "stashes" of amazing fabrics, as well as quilts-- finished or not-- either made by you or others, as well as any number of quilting-related items.

    We've also read posts on this board about amazing findings at estate sales and yard sales and in Goodwill and thrift stores. And many of us have commented on the apparent ignorance some people have towards the value of the stashes left behind by family and friends.

    What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you accounted for it in your will? If you don't have a will, or haven't accounted for it in your will, have you otherwise communicated to your family what you want done with it?

    This is important to me because I am also a family historian. I have a cousin (I can't believe I'm related to him...) who when his parents died, basically put everything out on the curb in hefty bags for the trash people to pick up. Everything that wasn't large furniture. Everything. We lived across the country from each other then, and I didn't learn about his actions until long after they occurred. But I was appalled.

    We can't control much once we've died, but we can make our wishes known.

    Have you?

  2. #2
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    I'm pleased to say I have, in writing, but need to update.:)

  3. #3
    GirlieWhirlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Saint Peters MO
    Posts
    447
    I have a friend who will be the executor of her friend's quilts, stash, sewing machines, and anything related to quilts. She is to find them a good home.

  4. #4
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    There is a Quilter's Will form out there (too early to search) where you can appoint your "Executor" and designate your wishes for the dispersal of your stash. While it's legal standing is questionable :wink: , I'm sure the family will respect your wishes.

    I think the most important part is for them to realize it has some value and they just don't toss it out as a bunch of rags.

    My friend actually included it when she recently redid her real legal papers, and I thought it was such a hoot I did it as well when I did mine a bit later. Her husband then pointed out the very possible likelihood that we'd both meet our ends on one of our quilting expeditions, and then he'd STILL be stuck with the fabric as I wouldn't be around to GET IT OUT OF HIS HOUSE (his emphasis). :wink:

    Found it:
    http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml

  5. #5
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
    I have a friend who will be the executor of her friend's quilts, stash, sewing machines, and anything related to quilts. She is to find them a good home.
    I'd still put it in writing somewhere someone will find it. Mine is with our wills in the safe and both kids know where to find stuff.

  6. #6
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,911
    my sister and DH know what to do with my stash, but I plan to live long enough to us it all up. :wink:

  7. #7
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,126
    Gosh...never really thought about what would happen to my stash if something happened to me. I think I need to talk to my daughter and grandaughters to see if they would want it. It is a slim chance that they would want it. I tried to get the intrest in quilting last year but that fell thru. I am here now and will quilt as much as I can. What is left of my stash I would like it donated to a chruch that I know of that has a food shelf and they also use donated fabric to quilt for the needy. Will have to let my family know this.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DC metro area
    Posts
    1,250
    I've told my dh and my quilting group that I want all quilting/sewing supplies to go to the quilting group and let them sort it out. I probably should get it in writing. We don't have kids so we've not bothered getting wills done yet.

  9. #9
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,937
    My son's know to call one of my friends...they will take care of dispersing my stash...only thing that would change that is if one of them were to marry someone that knows how to quilt...then I would have to work them into the dispersement too.

  10. #10
    Super Member clsurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Georgia
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you?
    Yes all my craft toys are part of my estate. I have a son whose GF (mother of my GK's) who thinks that when hubby and I pass that she will get our house and all my toys in this house.

    She is in for a surprise. If I survive hubby I'm selling the house and moving into an apartment. So she is not getting my house.

    If hubby survives me he can do what he wants with the house however every little personal thing in this house that is mine from desk top computers, laptops, ipad, ereaders, several die cutting machines, embossing machines, fabrics, threads, and everything else associated with it is already going to appropriate charities that can make use of these toys such as schools, and other organizations that would make good use of it.

    My son has no interest in those toys of mine and I'm sure he'd be happy with the house but he also is not getting it because he doesn't deserve it and he's my son.

    Now one of my GD will be getting certain things because she asked for them and she's only 8 and hopefully I'll be around for a long, long time at least long enough to see my GK's grown and succeeding.

    Son's GF was previously married and had two boys and I treat them like my own grandkids however they don't have much to do with hubby and I even though they were very young when they came upon the scene. Son and GF have two daughters together and only the 8 year old will visit and spend quite a bit of time with me. The 6 year old is just now starting to warm up to me.

    I am considering leaving the girls something money wise however it will be an escrow account and a bank will be in charge of it and they won't be able to touch it until they are 25 years old and only if they make something out of there lives. Neither parents will be having control of anything I may choose to leave the girls and the boys.

    Boys I can't blame much because they are just kids even if they are now 12 and 15. They were only 3 and 6 when I first got to know them and they are decent boys. Type of influence they learned is what they are. So is the 6 year old GD however the 8 year old is nothing like them however I have practically raised her first 3 years of her young life and some in the following years.

    So I'm not going to punish the kids for the mess there parents are in.

  11. #11
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    My attorney suggested that we draw up a separate sheet of paper with bequests that are not included in the wills. That way you can change that info without redrawing wills. It is to be left with the wills, but you can specify individual bequests or I suppose, even blanket beguests...all my quilting supplies go to whoever. We are in the process of signing new wills...got to figure out where the quilting stuff belongs. No kids and niece and nephews not really interested.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,411
    I have the Quilter's Will made out.

  13. #13
    Junior Member scrappycats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    255
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sometimes as I make an item, one of my daughters will see it and say "Dibs" meaning that when I am gone it will be hers. Both daughters will want to have my stash as well as the sewing machine and embroidery machine. So I am going to let them sort it out. But, I know that they won't go to the curb or to strangers.

  14. #14
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    I have been so astounded by the wonderful collections so many of you have-- huge "stashes" of amazing fabrics, as well as quilts-- finished or not-- either made by you or others, as well as any number of quilting-related items.

    We've also read posts on this board about amazing findings at estate sales and yard sales and in Goodwill and thrift stores. And many of us have commented on the apparent ignorance some people have towards the value of the stashes left behind by family and friends.

    What do YOU want to happen to your stash/collection after you're gone? Is it part of your estate? Have you accounted for it in your will? If you don't have a will, or haven't accounted for it in your will, have you otherwise communicated to your family what you want done with it?

    This is important to me because I am also a family historian. I have a cousin (I can't believe I'm related to him...) who when his parents died, basically put everything out on the curb in hefty bags for the trash people to pick up. Everything that wasn't large furniture. Everything. We lived across the country from each other then, and I didn't learn about his actions until long after they occurred. But I was appalled.

    We can't control much once we've died, but we can make our wishes known.

    Have you?
    When my hubby's dad died, he pulled his pick up truck up to the garage door, and cleared a path to the burn barrel and stared a fire.

    I know he had to have destroyed a few thousand dollars worth of goodies that someone would have loved. I managed to grab one lunch box, some marbles, a couple toys and a game or two. Almost got hurt doing it though. And was FORCED to throw a lifetime collection of silk ties in a burn barrel. THREATENED WITHIN AN INCH OF MY LIFE IN FACT

    SO---my will says my older DD gets first dibs, my sis in law gets second dibs, then the stuff goes to church for anyone there and then to whereever!

    My hubby will drop everything I own into a burn barrel if one of the gals in the family doesn't stop him. DESPITE THE WILL!

  15. #15
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    My attorney suggested that we draw up a separate sheet of paper with bequests that are not included in the wills. That way you can change that info without redrawing wills. It is to be left with the wills, but you can specify individual bequests or I suppose, even blanket beguests...all my quilting supplies go to whoever. We are in the process of signing new wills...got to figure out where the quilting stuff belongs. No kids and niece and nephews not really interested.
    To a church group? A local quilting guild? A 4-H group? A home ec group? ME?

  16. #16
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    There is a Quilter's Will form out there (too early to search) where you can appoint your "Executor" and designate your wishes for the dispersal of your stash. While it's legal standing is questionable :wink: , I'm sure the family will respect your wishes.

    I think the most important part is for them to realize it has some value and they just don't toss it out as a bunch of rags.

    My friend actually included it when she recently redid her real legal papers, and I thought it was such a hoot I did it as well when I did mine a bit later. Her husband then pointed out the very possible likelihood that we'd both meet our ends on one of our quilting expeditions, and then he'd STILL be stuck with the fabric as I wouldn't be around to GET IT OUT OF HIS HOUSE (his emphasis). :wink:

    Found it:
    http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml
    Didn't know my hubby had a twin brother!

  17. #17
    Super Member katsewnsew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,373
    I would like to be all rolled up in my fabrics and take them with me! Seriously, I have a friend that quilts, she gets first choice, the rest can go to someone who makes Charity quilts. And so it is written in my will.

  18. #18
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,746
    We talked about it. DH wants to keep it and it will go to my children,I have 14 many whom quilt, who are interested.

  19. #19
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    There is a Quilter's Will form out there (too early to search) where you can appoint your "Executor" and designate your wishes for the dispersal of your stash. While it's legal standing is questionable :wink: , I'm sure the family will respect your wishes.

    I think the most important part is for them to realize it has some value and they just don't toss it out as a bunch of rags.

    My friend actually included it when she recently redid her real legal papers, and I thought it was such a hoot I did it as well when I did mine a bit later. Her husband then pointed out the very possible likelihood that we'd both meet our ends on one of our quilting expeditions, and then he'd STILL be stuck with the fabric as I wouldn't be around to GET IT OUT OF HIS HOUSE (his emphasis). :wink:

    Found it:
    http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml
    Just looked up the "will" and it's a hoot. Pretty well covers my situation.

    FAIR WARNING THOUGH My hubby will be manning the burn barrel instead of attending my funeral.

    One thing he has overlooked though, my burial spot is just up the road. There is a clear path of vision between where my headstone is and my house.

    AND I WILL HAUNT HIM!

  20. #20
    Super Member jillaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California Girl exiled in DC
    Posts
    1,400
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    My hubby will drop everything I own into a burn barrel if one of the gals in the family doesn't stop him. DESPITE THE WILL!
    Ouch!
    You might want to start giving your stuff away BEFORE you go.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,726
    I don't need to worry. My daughter is a quilter and she is only 12. When I need to find a piece of material - I have to go check her stash, she claims almost all of it.

    I will tell her to do a PIF to an organization at that time if she chooses not to use it.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sadly NOW is the time to consider what you leave behind...at our guild meeting Monday night we were saddened to learn that a member had just passed. I was stunned, she was the only other person in that guild close to my age..I am 49...she was 55! A sudden heart attack in her sleep, with NO prior heart issue history....just gone...like that...gone...her family has NO idea what to do with her things! So sad....

  23. #23
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    Maybe Grannie Annie :lol: :lol: :lol:

  24. #24
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    My hubby will drop everything I own into a burn barrel if one of the gals in the family doesn't stop him. DESPITE THE WILL!
    Ouch!
    You might want to start giving your stuff away BEFORE you go.
    But how long before I think I might go????????? Older DD is moving back to the area. i may start making short trips to her basement.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    I don't have a lot but I want what I do have to go to my friend who encouraged me to start quilting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.