View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by redturtle
ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
Sadly, these new "featherweights" just play on the former
greatness of Singer machines. the 301's also come in black. & sell for about half of a 221 on eBay. I love my 301ls.
the white, true Singer Featherweight does have some design differences from the black ones. It was made 1960+
not made with the same care & weight metal as the black ones. It is hard-wired, so has to be unplugged each time.
it is noisier, has a shorter extension bed. no decals, etc. the bring good money because people thin they are in shorter supply. but, for my money, I would wait for a black one, preferable one before 1951.
and be very, very careful when buying on ebay. ask lots
of questions, especially about shipping. there is a tutorial
on packing a sewing machine on the internet. I hope you find one, they are such nice little machines. I sell them all
reconditioned, ready to sew. but the cosmetically challenged go for $275. our good one are $400. but the guts inside even a "not-so-pretty" one are the same. so keep an
eye out for one that is not so pretty but runs like a deer.
Good Luck ! and sometimes it is just that.