Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: featherweight # 2

  1. #1
    Senior Member redturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    908
    umm...i am probably gonna take some classes and my machine is too heavy to carry around....sooo...is this a good "deal"...TIA


    http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-Featherwe...item3cb5b99d3f

    SEE ANOTHER LINK BELOW

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    This one will probably be in the shop more than on your sewing table. They just don't have the durability as the older ones do.

  3. #3
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    I have to agree with Sharon, I would put a little with it and get an older Featherweight. You would not be sorry. They are almost undestructable...

  4. #4
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Yeah, I would go with the older version or maybe a 301, which isn't much heavier than a FW but has a nice handle right on the machine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member redturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    908
    ok...thnx...guess i will keep looking

  6. #6
    Senior Member redturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    908
    ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA




    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    So. Nevada
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA




    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
    I myself would love one of these. I don't know what your price range is but this auction still has 5 days to go. Being a Featherweight and white I see it going way out of my price range. There is a nibbler bidding on it. If you decide to place a bid, bid at the last few seconds of the auction and put in the max you will pay. Don't do an even amount of money either. (Example- $293.86) You would be surprised at how many auctions you can win by pennies :D If you start bidding now, all you are doing is raising the price. Sit back and watch. Get it at the very end if you can. :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    She looks lovely, but I betcha she won't go off for the $100 she's at now! Are you gonna bid? I've got one already and I'm just beginning to play with the accessories. I made a buttonhole using the buttonholer and figured out how to get the original penguin walking foot on. They are just such fun :lol:

    I used to follow them more and have seen them go off for around $200, $250 in really good shape with cases. Not sure now, but I would check completed sales and see what's going on.

  9. #9
    Super Member Wine Woman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you want a newer light machine the Janome Gem has proven to be very good. However, you can't go wrong with a Featherweight. I'm a proud owner of 5 (to some that's not very many!) you will really enjoy using the older ones.

    I would visit Craig's list in your area that way you can see the machine and hear it (and hopefully make a deal!). I have a White and I was told before I bought one that they would be a little louder than the black ones and they were right. It's not that obvious but the black ones just hummmm! They are so sweet! You will find the perfect one for you-just be patient.

  10. #10
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA




    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
    I myself would love one of these. I don't know what your price range is but this auction still has 5 days to go. Being a Featherweight and white I see it going way out of my price range. There is a nibbler bidding on it. If you decide to place a bid, bid at the last few seconds of the auction and put in the max you will pay. Don't do an even amount of money either. (Example- $293.86) You would be surprised at how many auctions you can win by pennies :D If you start bidding now, all you are doing is raising the price. Sit back and watch. Get it at the very end if you can. :thumbup:
    I agree, it still has 5 days to go and already has 12 bids on it. I love to watch, this kind of auction, in it's last few minutes (even though I'm not bidding) to see how fast and furious the ending bids are.

    Keep looking, you'll be sure to find one for a decent price on eBay. Just be careful of how carefully the seller is going to wrap it. Some people don't have a clue as to how a sewing machine should be protected for the journey.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jamiestitcher62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    744
    I don't think because Singer is calling this machine a featherweight necessarily means it is of the quality of the antique ones everybody pays big bucks for. I saw it on ebay as well and thought that it was just another cheap Singer machine that they decided to name featherweight. Its looks plastic, not metal. There are plenty of lightweight machines out there that weigh less than 12 lbs. This one is not the same as the black or white ones from the 1930's to 1964.

    I would pass on it and pick up a cheap Brother machine for classes.

    I think there are 12 bids because people are thinking it will be of the same quality and as collectible as the others.

  12. #12
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok so scratch the first one...i did see a 301...but i think i like the looks of the 221 sooo much better...kinda classy...i luv it in black but does this white one sound ok? TIA




    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13#description
    That one is pretty too. But it still has 5 days to go on the auction. You can bet it will go way over 200.00 when it goes.

  13. #13
    Senior Member redturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    908
    ok...guess i will pass on the white ones...

    i kinda like the looks of the black ones better anyway...

    i didnt even think about craigslist...duh!

    i will def keep my eye open...there are a ton of 221 listed on ebay...so might be posting another couple links...

  14. #14
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok...guess i will pass on the white ones...

    i kinda like the looks of the black ones better anyway...

    i didnt even think about craigslist...duh!

    i will def keep my eye open...there are a ton of 221 listed on ebay...so might be posting another couple links...
    Be sure you see haw many days are left on the auctions. Most of them go for over 200.00 unless they are all dinged up.

  15. #15
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok...guess i will pass on the white ones...

    i kinda like the looks of the black ones better anyway...

    i didnt even think about craigslist...duh!

    i will def keep my eye open...there are a ton of 221 listed on ebay...so might be posting another couple links...
    Don't necessarily pass entirely on one of the older white Featherweights. They are not as common as the black ones, and would be a sweet find. And actually the one on e-bay looks to be in good shape with its case & accessories, not a bad deal. Of course as others said, the auction has 5 days to go so the price could really go up by the end. Just keep your eye out & check all sources. E-bay, Craigslist, shopgoodwill.com. Post a ISO (in search of) in the classified section here. There's even some FW for sale here once in a while. PM Billy (Lostn51), our resident vintage machine guru. He may be able to help you find one.

    Hope you find one. They are sweet little machines that run & run & run. I've had my 1947 model since I was 12 years old. Which means it was already 26 when I got it, 65 now. It still runs just as good as the day I got it, and probably the day it came off the factory line. I love using mine for quilting classes. Easy to lug around, doesn't take up too much room on already crowded classroom tables. And it gets oohs & aahs. :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member redturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    908
    ok heres a third auction...TIA

    can you tell im excited...lol

    i cant see any reason noone has bid on it yet...what do you see?
    also...is it still considered a featherweight if it weighs 19# in the case...because if thats the case then might just as well haul my machine around with me to a class or two...it weighs 21# lol

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

  17. #17
    Senior Member emmah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Groton, NY
    Posts
    413
    If you are looking for a nice little lightweight machine, try the Kenmore mini ultra 3/4 machine, made by Jenome, I read. It is a cute little machine and easy to use....and carry. They can be gotten very reasonably.

  18. #18
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok heres a third auction...TIA

    can you tell im excited...lol

    i cant see any reason noone has bid on it yet...what do you see?
    also...is it still considered a featherweight if it weighs 19# in the case...because if thats the case then might just as well haul my machine around with me to a class or two...it weighs 21# lol

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    That one looks really nice. I would try to get a FW if I were you. You WON'T regret it :thumbup:
    But the 19 pound description confuses me. They don't weigh that much. But it IS a FW. hmmmm................

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,063
    Take the same amount of money and purchase a used small machine with metal parts. Those new cheapies usually cause lots of headaches. If you can find a Featherweight (maybe with some scratches or damage to the decals so it looks a little rough) you would certainly have a much better machine. There is also a Elna Grasshopper which is a light machine and it sews wonderfully, but the case is heavy. Be careful that you get an actual grasshopper as sometimes they label a larger model as a grasshopper and they are heavy. I have several small machines that I purchased off E-bay and any of those would be suitable for classes and I didn't pay a lot for any of them.

  20. #20
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    ok heres a third auction...TIA

    can you tell im excited...lol

    i cant see any reason noone has bid on it yet...what do you see?
    also...is it still considered a featherweight if it weighs 19# in the case...because if thats the case then might just as well haul my machine around with me to a class or two...it weighs 21# lol

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    That one looks really nice. I would try to get a FW if I were you. You WON'T regret it :thumbup:
    But the 19 pound description confuses me. They don't weigh that much. But it IS a FW. hmmmm................
    It says 19 lb with the case. is the case 7 or 8 lbs? I have never weighed mine (with, without or otherwise).

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Live in Littleton, CO via Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    2,199
    This one is actually a light green color, per seller. Jem Golds from Janome, have one and love it. But I do have a beautiful old FW.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    1,064
    The white machine is already over 183.00. It's still going up.

  23. #23
    Senior Member violetsfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Originally Oklahoma
    Posts
    599
    What about the featherweights advertised in the quilting magazines? They are refurbished and come in various colors. Has anyone bought one of those?

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,063
    I think they are fine but substantially overpriced. You can buy a good one on E-bay for a lot less, unless you want a custom paint job. Most of the ones in the quilt magazines are purchased from an auction site in bad shape and then refurbished with new decals and bright colors. Doesn't make any difference to the sewing ability. These little machines are basically indestructible and there are plenty of repairs available so I have purchased four of them from e-bay and had one repainted and new decals put on it. The others just needed cleaning and adjustment.

  25. #25
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    I love your Avatar!!!!! Do you live on a farm?

    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    umm...i am probably gonna take some classes and my machine is too heavy to carry around....sooo...is this a good "deal"...TIA


    http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-Featherwe...item3cb5b99d3f

    SEE ANOTHER LINK BELOW

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.