Thread: Stocking Up
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
toomanycats

I am using my dehydrator more to dry what is in season. funny story here about stocking up on things. during ww2 my grandmother's sister who lived over the hill from here, saved up her sugar ration and stored it in sacks burried down in the hay in the barn. the 60's come along and Dad and my brother were over there helping fix the barn. First had to clean out the old hay on the bottom and low and behold here was Aunt Bo's stash of sugar!!! Hard as a rock but still there. How the critters and bugs stayed out of it I do not know. I plan on a little bigger garden and canning more what I do not dry. size of the garden depends on how strong the wells hold. There is only two of us now but mom will be moving back in with us. We are prepared. Living way out here you have to be. Had no power three days last week. We have friends and relatives that laugh at us for stocking things but hey, we are self sufficent and if turns out don't needd it like the y2k did, then won't have to be spending alot on groceries for awhile will we? My daughter was just out of college then and started working in San Francisco. Her and boyfriend would come up to see us and shop at "Moms"