View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
PWinston

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
Originally Posted by PWinston
Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
This is how I envisioned it when I diagrammed the block. The only problem is that the flying geese blocks are not typical flying geese. It is my belief that flying geese dimensions are typically that the height is 1/2 the width (i.e. 1 1/2" x 3", 2" x 4", 3" x 6"). The geese dimensions in this pattern do not meet that standard criteria. Thus, my reason for paper piecing those units since I do not know how to traditionally piece non-conforming geese.
Okay, I didn't realize that about the geese! Back to the drawing board!
Duhhh!!! I was limiting my thinking on this. The block is the one that you centered in on and as I had pictured in my rudimentary sketch except that I did not draw the correct size flying geese for the non-star portion of the block. The flying geese in the "sashing" or non-star portion of the block are 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" (that is assuming an 8" star). The finished block would be 11 1/2" square. If you make it this way, you just set the blocks on point, add the setting triangles and you've got it finished.

You can make it the way others have shown it, however, they do not take into consideration the extra row of flying geese on the outside blocks. If you make it that way, you would have to add flying geese to the setting triangles.

OK, this has worn me out. I'm happy with our rendition of the block.