View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
writerwomen

Originally Posted by sewverybusy
Thanks for your input. I guess I'm lucky because mine is a white metal one, in a green and cream box. I was told it was made in Britain so I assumed it was made for Singer, which is where I went wrong. You should never assume. It works like my black one, so I keep one in NJ and the other here in Texas, so I'm always prepared.
Before going on another assumption from a response regarding machines not made by Singer do some serious research.
First go to the Singer Website, serial numbers, then enter yor serial number and search for your machine by serial number. There is a great deal of misinformation available so you need to actually reasearch before accepting someones remark. We deal in used and vintage sewiing machines and are constantly researching. The amount of misinformation we hear from people who haven't done their homework is overwhelming and many refuse to believe the truth. Almost all the sewing machine companies have been sold out to a competitor at least once. It's a round robbin. Also using a serial number as IDing the date is an approximation. Serial numbers where issued from the head office in a range of, lets say 1-5000. Those numbers were sent to the factory and when they were set they would begin production. When those sold more numbers were issued based on whether or not they felt continuing production of that model was profitable. The dates associated with the serial numbers is the date the numbers were issued to the factories.
Just before WWII a number of bodies (heads) for machines were cast and stamped with serial numbers. Production was set to the side as the factories were perfect for making , guns bombs, etc to help in the war effort. Following the war the heads were put back into production and completed. It has been found that there are some who know infatically their machine was brand new on purchase following the war but have a serial number predating WWII. Their claims were verified as true due to the war effort. Have fun