View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
cabinfever

I have an expensive Viking & quite a variety of pre-1960 Singers. I was thrilled to finally buy a "good" machine with so many fancy options. This is not to say that the Viking isn't a good machine, but I find for piecing I prefer the simplicity & stout reliability of the old Singers. They have a a very even stitch, a nice hum & are all easily maintained by me at home. I don't worry at all using them to stitch anything. As much as parts & service are for new machines, computer-based ones in particular, I feel I need to be more selective about what I put them through. If I were to go back, I would just keep the old machines; I don't do enough decorative stitching to justify it.
In addition I have a Singer 401, which was an early 60's machine that is one of the last all-metal-geared machines; tan & brown. It has about 27 built-in decorative stitches plus you can get many more decorative drop-in black cams(some come with machines) for extra fancy stitches.
I am a big fan of this website about vintage machines & their care: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
She covers most vintage Singer machines in detail with pics.

Also, if you want more speed control, you can get an electronic foot pedal to use with these old Singers without the heat build-up of the original foot pedals (only pertains to trying to sew really slowly). http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/3701
blog.sew-classic.com sells the electronic foot pedals. She may also have information on your Kenmore & how to install a belt.

Best wishes choosing your next machine or getting your baby fixed. CT

The beautiful Queen Anne cabinet for the 401 series machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180422[/ATTACH]

Singer decorative stitch cam - common on ebay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180430[/ATTACH]

Singer 401 or 401a w 27 built-in stitches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180431[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180416.png   attachment-180424.png   attachment-180425.png