View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Little RoO

Hi...I bought a new to me Pfaff Select 3 a couple of weeks ago and love it for patchwork. It is a basic machine, not computerised,and with only a few decorative stitches....but it does have the IDT feature...this is the special walking foot that is part of the machine and works brilliantly at holding the fabrics together for piecing. It also has 15 needle position which means I can be really accurate with my quater inch.
I think if you are buying a machine they are some real do's and don'ts...
1. Decide what you are going to do with it, what features are a real must have and what are a nice to have and write them down so when you go to buy you have your list with you.
2. If you have a budget, stick to it...it is so easy to get sucked in at a dealer and spend so much more on a machine that will be fab but probably do far more than you will ever need and you may well regret spending so much more once you get home !
3. Ring round dealers and see what they have new and old ( I then look them up on the internet to see if the features match my list ) Ask what gaurantee they have....also bargain with them ....most really want your business and will quite often come down abit in price to get it.
Sewing machines are a really personal thing and you can get lots of information on the internet but I think you really do have to go and give them a real test drive....I would take some bits of fabric and ask to play. Any good dealer should be more than happy to let you do this....don't be rushed into making your choice.
Good luck...Please let us know what you get.