View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM
keelybird57

I admit that I don't prewash most fabric, but I've never had a problem. Today's experience may change that!

My bff and I enrolled in a 4 hour class at LQS. When we enrolled, we got 20% off all purchases that day. So I purchased fabric for the project, a Rapid Hunter's Star wallhanging. I chose My Asian Garden by Ro Gregg, a quality fabric. It's different for me, especially as it has that metallic gold on it. Even with the discount, it wasn't cheap.

This morning, I was cutting for class, 16 - 6" blocks to be cut diagonally. So since bias edges are challenging for me, after I cut the blocks, I spritzed them with Mary Ellen's Best Pressed and pressed them dry.

When I laid them out to make the diagonal cut, they were 6" x 5.75". I assumed I had cut my strip too narrow. I carefully cut another strip and 6" blocks (from fabric for the border). Again, I spritzed and pressed. Guess what! They were small again! So I did an experiment. After carefully cutting one block, re-measuring, spraying, & pressing, I measured it. The fabric had shrunk!

Has anyone else had this experience? I can't believe I lost 1/4" off every 6" block! Is this complaint-worthy? Do I tell the shop owner? Maybe it's common and I've just been lucky up till now?