Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric shrank-- before my eyes! >

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetLW
What do you with jelly rolls that can't be prewashed? Do you starch and press them or just use as they are?
I would just use them "as is". Wouldn't want to take a chance on starch shrinking them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM

I always pre wash !!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Starch and press BEFORE you cut. I never prewash, I have seen some fabrics shrink as I am spraying them with starch! I always starch before cutting for this exact reason. Wasting expensive fabric!
My thoughts exactly. I estimate how much fabric I need, add a bit for waste, and tear off a slab of fabric. Then I starch a couple of times BEFORE I cut my strips, and I use a HOT iron each time.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
While it seems complaint worthy, did you read the care instruction on the end of the bolt? If you over-looked that little piece of information, you probably will not be compensated for your loss. If it is not printed I would request a refund, or credit or new fabric all together.
seriously...a refund...COTTON fabric shrinks when it gets wet and it hit with heat...it is a world wide known fact that has been on the record books for thousands of years....
Anyone who has ever sewn clothing(and 99% of all quilter's) know that shrinkage occurs with cotton fabric...like don't buy a cotton TEE unless you get a size larger so it can shrink....don't buy cotton towels with heavy banding on the ends because when the towel shrinks the banding does too and it makes your towel funky on the ends....

cotton fabric shrinks...the bolt does not have to tell you that, LOGIC tells you that!
wow...that's why I have so many funky towel ends in my linen cupboard...I spend a good part of every folding session stretching back out the end of my towels so they will lay as flat as possible on the shelf....I never thought about the reason why...I just figured all towels did that from time to time :roll: Man..don't I feel stupid!! :oops:

I prewash...just a habit cause I hate surprises later... :shock:
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Boy!!! I will always wash my fab first now, Thanks :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM

My mother had a similar shrinking problem recently. She spritzed some fabric squares, and left them on the ironing board overnight. when she got back to them in the morning, they had shrunk. Unbelievable.
I'm glad I prewash and dry!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM

There is more than one way to shrink fabric and You just learned one of them. If I have a lot of fabric to preshrink I put it through a rinse cycle and dry it in the dryer to damp dry and Iron it. If I only have a 1/2 yard or a few fat quarters I spray it and iron it as you did.
Some fabrics shrink a lot and some don't but I don't like surprises.