Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM
iluvmycats

I think most of us quilters in the U.S. have far more then we need. Whenever I watch the House Hunters International shows on HGTV, I am amazed at how small the living accomodations are in other countries. Smaller rooms, many times no closets, little to nothing for storage. I think sometimes we need to sit back and access how much we really need. If I moved overseas, there is no way I could take all of the sewing supplies, threads, fabrics etc I have accumulated over the years. I don't have a sewing stash per se. Purchases I have made in the past were usually for quilt kits. And now I have enough of those to sew up, in reality, it is years before I will need to buy any fabric.Since becoming disabled, with the price of my health insurance and medication charges, I have really started watching how much and what I buy, whether it is truly a need or an impluse on my part.It is amazing what I have begun to walk away from. I would love to have a couple more vintage machines, but you know, I can only sew on 1 at a time and when I see women in impoverished countries and how happy they are when they get an old treadle machine to sew on or fabric that a missionary has given them, I'm truly ashamed at how much I have (that I don't need). The way things are going in the U.S. the next few years are going to be hard for a lot of us. 1 of my arthritis treatments costs $12,000.00 every time I go and that is up $3,000.00 per treatment from last year. If we have food on our tables,an old beater to get us to and fro and a loving family, thats more then a lot of people. I'm more grateful every day that my husband had never complained when I wanted to spend $$ on something for my sewing. Okay, I'll get off my soap box, but I am grateful for what I have. Blessings to all, Nancy