Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 PM

I second, third, fourth, fiveth and sixth that. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!

LOL

debra

cny-sewer39
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM

I remember when I lived in Japan, I use to pay $13 to 18 dollars a yard and that was in the 90's my friend that still lives there said that now is beteween 20 to 25 a yard, most of the time I shop for her here in the US. fat quaters run between 8 and 10 dollars.
gloria
Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Amen, for the men and women
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM

you might want to visit Arizona in the winter the coldes that it gets here is in the 60 and at night is in the 40
Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM

$22-$28.00 plus per metre in Western Australia!! We do have some discount fabric stores that sell quilt fabric cheaper than that, but they don't have the same range that quilt stores do. Fat quarters are about $6.00 plus. The exchange rate is about dollar for dollar at the moment, so you can see its not a cheap hobby! I buy quite a bit on line from Favourite Fabrics and Old Country Store in the US, and even with the postage it works out about half the price of buying in Australia.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM

I think most of us quilters in the U.S. have far more then we need. Whenever I watch the House Hunters International shows on HGTV, I am amazed at how small the living accomodations are in other countries. Smaller rooms, many times no closets, little to nothing for storage. I think sometimes we need to sit back and access how much we really need. If I moved overseas, there is no way I could take all of the sewing supplies, threads, fabrics etc I have accumulated over the years. I don't have a sewing stash per se. Purchases I have made in the past were usually for quilt kits. And now I have enough of those to sew up, in reality, it is years before I will need to buy any fabric.Since becoming disabled, with the price of my health insurance and medication charges, I have really started watching how much and what I buy, whether it is truly a need or an impluse on my part.It is amazing what I have begun to walk away from. I would love to have a couple more vintage machines, but you know, I can only sew on 1 at a time and when I see women in impoverished countries and how happy they are when they get an old treadle machine to sew on or fabric that a missionary has given them, I'm truly ashamed at how much I have (that I don't need). The way things are going in the U.S. the next few years are going to be hard for a lot of us. 1 of my arthritis treatments costs $12,000.00 every time I go and that is up $3,000.00 per treatment from last year. If we have food on our tables,an old beater to get us to and fro and a loving family, thats more then a lot of people. I'm more grateful every day that my husband had never complained when I wanted to spend $$ on something for my sewing. Okay, I'll get off my soap box, but I am grateful for what I have. Blessings to all, Nancy