Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by LindaJR
I do not travel to other countries, since I am still trying to see all of the U S. I also have not applied for a passport. Last time I left the U S all you needed was a drivers license and a birth certificate.
When was the last time you visited the U.S.? Since 9/11 happened things are much stricker here in the U.S. and we need a passport to go just about anywhere outside the U.S. I remember when we did not need a passport to go to our neighbors, Canada, but now we do let alone any other country.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
Wow! That certainly means everyone should go out and stock up....so we don't get like that! For sure!! :thumbup:
That's is just crazy!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM

[quote=laalaaquilter]
Originally Posted by JanieW
I wonder why God chose to only bless the USA?

Why would you assume that God only blesses the USA? There are Christians all over the world where God also is and whom he blesses.

What has God to do with the prices of fabric or anything else for that matter? Economics determine prices of anything anywhere in the world!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Originally Posted by dollycaswell
I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
Similar prices to most parts that I have visited and live in. I have always been under the belief that the material is shipped cheaply to the U.S. from such places as Japan, then re-packaged and sold to the rest of us and that is why we have such high prices. If my assumption is wrong, I can easily take correction or information.
Unless the places you have lived have restrictions on who they can buy from (like folks in US can't buy Cuban cigars) then companies there are free to buy from the same suppliers that US companies do....
Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM

I visited in Ghana in July of 2010 and fabric there is very expensive as well... they do not have the choices that we have nor do they have the number of shops that we have even though the city of Accra has a population of 1.3 million people! We have SO MUCH to be thankful for and so many of us take it for granted. I am so happy that my mother was someone who loved sewing and quilting because it taught me to appreciate so much!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33
Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
How do those of you who live outside the US afford to quilt? Is your wages in line with fabric costs? Ours are for the most part except those of us who are on limited income of SS. The gov. hasn't seen fit to give us a raise for a couple years. They say there is no raise in the cost of living.LOL I don't know what rock they are living under.
ya gas is up over 1.00 a gallon-they say food is up 29%.but no raise.so I sell off some of my stash to compensate.
Is that a typo? Gas over $1.00 a gallon! I just paid $3.57 for 87% octane!!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 PM

[quote=clsurz]
Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
Originally Posted by JanieW
I wonder why God chose to only bless the USA?

Why would you assume that God only blesses the USA? There are Christians all over the world where God also is and whom he blesses.

What has God to do with the prices of fabric or anything else for that matter? Economics determine prices of anything anywhere in the world!
I don't think God chose only to bless the USA. All are His children and He loves everyone, no matter where they are. When I say, "God bless America" it means several things to me: 1) I'm thanking God for the wonderful life we have here; 2) I'm asking Him to continue to bless us with His love and mercy; and 3) I'm praying that the country will return to Him. It has nothing to do with thinking that God is favoring the US over other countries. IMHO
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM

My LQS sells her fabric for mainly $43 (US) per metre I either buy at sales, but form America or buy up large when I do visit America

I do think our wages might be higher than yours our son works in a motorcycle shop he is untrained mechanic and is on $20 per hour

our gas is just over $8.00 per gallon
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM

The "Dutch Reproduction Fabric" is incredible, looks like the authentic gorgeous patterns from ages past. Feels good, looks good, colors are amazing. But....too rich for my blood, I was going to take home a small panel just for the heck of it, but fortunately the one panel they had I didn't like the colors in it!! So, no...I won't need an extra suitcase for my fabric purchases....but for the chocolate, now that's another story!! Even their cheap "grocery store" chocolate here is fabulous.. For the first time in my life I think I've finally had enough chocolate. They spread it on toast for breakfast, then cover it with chocolate sprinkles too! Unbelievable!!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM

The "Dutch Reproduction Fabric" is incredible, looks like the authentic gorgeous patterns from ages past. Feels good, looks good, colors are amazing. But....too rich for my blood, I was going to take home a small panel just for the heck of it, but fortunately the one panel they had I didn't like the colors in it!! So, no...I won't need an extra suitcase for my fabric purchases....but for the chocolate, now that's another story!! Even their cheap "grocery store" chocolate here is fabulous.. For the first time in my life I think I've finally had enough chocolate. They spread it on toast for breakfast, then cover it with chocolate sprinkles too! Unbelievable!!