View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by madamekelly
My one and only attempt to foster dogs was just as ugly.

We went to the local no-kill shelter because they asked for volunteers. As I filled out the paperwork, DH talked to the caretakers. We went to see 'our' foster. Sammy was cute as can be. I walked back inside just in time to hear the last part of a conversation. "I have to give Sammy his meds" I followed the speaker, (not the director) and asked "what meds does Sammy need?" She cheerfully replied "Oh it's just for mange. He has to have a bath every other day to keep it under control". Mange?! I was very clear that I had four other pets at home! I walked back out front and asked the director about the mange (that she never mentioned). She looked me in the eye and stated"Oh don't worry, it is manageable, just bathe him every other day and you will be fine." I just had to ask "why not just cure it?" Again, looking me right in the eye stated "Oh, mange is incurable." This woman runs a shelter??????
Mange IS curable with an application of 'blue coat' or similar product. Needless to say we left, went home and got the prescription from the vet, since we had touched Sammy, in case our animals caught it. I hate STUPID people. WE do not 'foster' dogs through that woman!
Even scarier when you know we have a malamute/shephard, (lots of hair) a blue heeler (again lots of hair), a mau, and a Norwegian forest cat (even more hair). Did I mention I am disabled? Bathe a huge dog every day, indeed!