Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Johanna Fritz

Originally Posted by bluteddi
THEY'D STILL, JUST SAY, JICKED IT UP FROM A GARAGE SALE OR SOMETHING....
sad sad sad
IMHO You are better off taking a photo- close up and detail of the quilt, and of you quilting the quilt. No two quilts are exactly the same. Someone I know has a "signature" fabric that is in all of her quilts. It is something she picked up long ago, and always puts the smallest piece in it somewhere (even if only the binding). That way she can pick it out. I made an heirloom once and buried an info tag (fabric written with perma fabric fine point pen) inside the upper left corner of the binding. I also took pictures.

www.lostquilt.com

Lists lost and stolen quilts. I always poke around there. You would be surprised how many quilts are "yanked down" at local shows. If you send a quilt to a show, their insurance usually does not cover this type of a theft - or the after hours janitor steal. Never, never put your quilt in an opaque (can't see through) plastic garbage bag. One national quilter who spoke at our guild was unpacking her booth and a janitor saw the black bag off to the side and tossed it in his container as he walked by. By the time she noticed it was gone...to late. Can't remember the woman's name, but it is still gone, as far as I know.