View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Ramona Byrd

I'm still on the avoiding diet..no wheat or corn. Lots in my family have allergies to many different foods, pollens and insect stings. And I am strongly avoiding Aspartame and artificial sweeteners. I've read all over the Internet (WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT? DRINK DIET SODAS)!!

Food is pretty easy now to fix since I'm widowed and eat what I want. I even dig up weeds from the front yard and plant them in back for my salads (and the turtle loves them too). Weeds have far more nutrition than plants that have been genetically altered, or grown in worn out soil.

I've just returned from the grocery store I've shopped in for years, the rise in prices shocked me. ONE BELL PEPPER is $1.49. That is ONE pepper, not one pound. And other prices are also rising. I'm now going to grow far more than I had planned to in the back yard. Gonna spend the spring and summer collecting canning jars at Estate sales/yard sales, etc. And maybe get a bigger freezer, a floor model. They're pretty cheap nowadays. Then later today I'm going out to plant the roots of the two bunches of green onions that I got today. The rest I've planted are almost ready to harvest, and then THEIR roots will be replanted. Soon I won't have to buy them any more, or any of the onion family. Chives, leeks, garlic, etc. And at CostCo, I bought a big container of fresh, peeled garlic last year, and in a moment of wanting to see what would happen, I planted a couple of them. They sprouted!!! So soon I'm going to get another big container, plant part and freeze part of them. They last forever frozen.