View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I don't think many people eat raw meat (although a lot of it gets served rare) but I resent having to treat my cutting board and utensils that may have touched the raw meat, as if they were toxic.
Veggies are much easier to deal with IMHO.

I agree somewhat about the nanny state, but it reminds me of something I saw on PBS recently, about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, where so many women died 100 years ago. They said, "If you want to know what industry would be like, free of government regulations, this is it."
I don't want to go back to those days when we had to worry about the safety of our food. Look at the recent problem with the Sara Lee lunch meats, they knew it was making people sick and they kept producing them. Profit rules.
I hear you, but what about the ingredients listed on products. They are finding more and more that especially for diabetics the label is incorrect and there is sugar in the product. Same thing for gluten free and others. IMHO, we the consumer have to educate ourselves and use our common sense in whatever we may purchase. There are so many products out there that say this was processed in an area with peanuts or somesuch...which doesn't make it safe for people with peanut allergies. That's one reason we eat as fresh as possible because you cannot trust the food inspectors who are supposed to be making sure our food is okay for comsumption. There are not enough of them to check all the foods available for purchase. Where were the food inspectors when pets were dying because of the junk in it from China? Now we also feed our pets a natural diet. Just something else to throw into the mix.