Thread: Quilt class
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I think, instead of "demanding" my money back , I'd probably initiate a conversation with the shop owner about the issue and learn what she knows about the incident and plans to do about it, if anything.
Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances the class participants are not privy to.
Perhaps the instructor has planned to add an hour to the next class as well to make up for the first class missed.
Perhaps others have mentioned it to the owner/teacher and there is already a plan to compensate in the works.

Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Jan in VA
I agree with Jan here. Also if you stayed an hour longer on the second class and if she was going to extend the next class an hour you would have lost only an hour of class time. It's not the ideal situation but maybe you could ask her for an hour of private time or get together with others in the class and see if she would give another hour class so everyone felt they learned what they needed from the class.

If she hasn't given a satisfactory explanation for missing the first class maybe it was a personal matter she didn't want to discuss with others. Did she apologize or try to address the issue in any meaningful way? I'm not trying to defend her behavior but there are many ways to deal with this in a kind and understanding manner that would leave all concerned feeling better about the situation.

I am sorry this happened to you but we can all tell our stories of woe in quilting classes. Instructors can also tell their own stories of what they've had to deal with....it's just so much better for everyone if you deal with this in a kind and respectful manner regardless of whether you feel she was kind or respectful or not. You did mention you felt she treated you especially well at your second class so IMHO you would be further ahead with just speaking kindly with her about the hour you missed as it will be only an actual hour you have lost if she adds an hour to your last class. Quite possibly there is a solution that would make everyone happy without creating a major ordeal.